Screen blanking & freezing during startup, locking up at Mup.sys in Safe Mode

Discussion in 'Software' started by hankyknot, Jun 30, 2008.

1. hankyknot

hankyknot Corporal

I have two systems that have recently had viruses removed that are now refusing to boot completely.

They start off fine, I get the Windows logo then the screens go blank and it goes no further. It doesnt reboot over and over it just stops.

I try to boot into Safe Mode and it stops making any prograss at the Mup.sys file.

From googling the problem the only suggestion I've found relates to the hard drive cable but I cant see how that would be the problem as there has been no physical manipulation of the units at all and for two units to get the same physical fault seems unlikely.

Any ideas?

2. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

How do you know you're fully rid of the malware if you can't boot into windows?

3. hankyknot

hankyknot Corporal

Thank you for your ever so helpful post but I never said they had had all their malware removed, just that suddenly I couldnt get into windows in Safe Mode or otherwise.

Maybe next time you could ask yourself, quietly in your head, whether your post is actually going to help someone or add nothing at all to the progress toward a solution.

If it proves to be the latter, maybe you shouldnt post anything.

4. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

When Windows hangs after the loading of Mup.sys it is an indication that some peripheral is either not registered in the Registry correctly or a piece hardware itself is damaged.
    Mup.sys is the last of the Windows XP core drivers to load before the other hardware parts of the computer are loaded. Therefore what you are seeing is that the basic Windows functions have been successfully loaded; Mup.sys being the last of these will show on your screen.
    The first thing to try when this happens is to disconnect all the peripherals (Printer, External Hard Drives, USB devices etc.) and reboot.
    If your reboot is successful, then reconnect each one seperately, trying again.
    This will allow you to narrow down where the hang actually is taking place.
    There is a good page with several more elaborate fixes here:
    http://www.aitechsolutions.net/mupdotsysXPhang.html

5. hankyknot

hankyknot Corporal

Thank you joelsz

A truly helpful post, so much more useful than the previous one which was about as useful as asking what colour my case was.

:-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds