Is FreeBSD Linux?

Discussion in 'Software' started by PC-XT, Jun 30, 2008.

1. PC-XT

PC-XT Master Sergeant

I have been wanting to try Linux, and found a CD with FreeBSD and packages on it. It says this version of FreeBSD is more stable than the comparative version of Linux, but it seems just like Linux otherwise. (Though I haven't tried it yet) Is FreeBSD just a distro, or are they different?

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Different. FreeBSD is a Unix derivative.

3. slopyjoemess

slopyjoemess Private E-2

yeah its Unix but linux is kinda like Unix

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Different kernels, different command shells by default. Different goals.

Linux is its own beast meant to be like Unix, but it is quite different.

5. zerhacke

zerhacke Private E-2

Consider FreeBSD the more difficult and less compatible cousin to Linux.

Linux distros are usually fairly easy to install (D&*n you, Arch Linux!). They've got a lot of software that is either a direct port of a Windows program or are not ports but do the same job. For example, Flash works on Linux with very, very little work.

FreeBSD is much more difficult to install than most Linuxes and has less compatible software, case in point again being Flash. You can get Flash to work on BSD but you're going to need to read and work a lot.

I would consider FreeBSD more stable than most Linuxes, though.

6. candive

candive Corporal

Adrynalyne,

I like the Penguin!
    And his hat
    Can you make one looking at a broken window.
    Hehe.

7. candive

candive Corporal

I found "Ubuntu 8.04.1" easiest for new users.
    http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds