XP OEM (geunine) install over unregistered XP media

Discussion in 'Software' started by trowell, Jul 1, 2008.

1. trowell

trowell Private E-2

does anyone have any advice on an upgrade I want to do. This involves my current unregistered xp media version being changed to a genuine OEM xp pro (from a new system builder pack).

Can i just throw in the disk and "hey presto" or should I expect some headache with HD formatting required.... i want to go legit to be able to recieve all the up dates etc but must confess to being a tad apprehensive...this is, for me, unchartered territory..

any good advice very much appreciated

cheers

Trowell

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

As long as you have the full install CD (meaning: it's not an upgrade CD, and it's not 'stamped' with Dell or HP or Gateway or something, unless your PC brand matches the disc) and as long as you have a valid, legal product key for the valid, legal install CD, you should have no problems doing a repair install. If performed correctly, there's only a small chance that you'll lose your shortcuts, personal settings (like wallpaper and screensavers), and file associations. You will not lose any documents unless you format. Sometimes, if the user profiles are messed up, when the repair install finishes, all your previous shortcuts and settings will be gone, but if you browse C:\Documents and Settings you'll find the documents. But if the user profile is OK, the repair install should be smooth, and the finished product will include all your settings and shortcuts, and all your data/documents...

Good luck!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds