Backup Audio Book CDs--Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Software' started by sach2, Jul 1, 2008.

1. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

My mother has an old Audio Book on 7 CDs that is out of print. Two CDs are beginning to have problems playing on her personal CD player (Sony Walkman type). Does anyone have any suggestions for software to rip a new copy of the CDs? I realize an audio book does not have to be the finest quality recording but need the copy to be able to play on her machine (I'm fairly sure this player is not Mp3 compatible).

I would just replace the book but I can't even find a used copy to take a chance on. :( I basically want to make an exact copy of each CD to the best of my computer's ability to read the CDs. I understand how to copy DVDs but have never actually copied an audio CD so I have no idea how to do this in a lossless format (I'd like to end up with 7 newly burned CDs). Any suggestions on software, what the filetypes should look like before burning etc. would be greatly appreciated!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Sach2

What burning software do you have as many if not all have the ability to burn 1:1 copies, so no need to rip.

CDBurnerXP which is freeware ( but needs .net2.0 installed IIRC ) can burn AudioCD 1:1, start the app, click AudioCD and then click the File > Burn AudioCD menu option, choose the source and destination drives and click Copy Disk. Nero is even easier if you have that.

3. sach2

Thanks, Halo :) I have both Nero and CDburnerXP. It looks like either will burn an exact copy of an audio CD very easily. I didn't realize it was so simple. Unfortunately, I don't have any blank CD-Rs to try it.

I figured I could just copy the whole book onto HD in a lossless format and test burn it later. I don't see any options to copy to HD? Is there a software that will allow me to store the files on HD? I appreciate your help and will get a box of CDs for testing tomorrow if no one can tell me how to how to burn them to HD temporarily.

I really appreciate the pointers!

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Sach2

Yes you could use WMP to rip to WAV or Windows Media (Lossless), WMP will also allow you to burn the CD from the formats it rips too as well, so not a bad allrounder really for quick rip and burn, or iTunes to go with Apple Lossless, but possibly better maybe PowerENC and go with FLAC

Another option is to convert the CDs to ISO using IMGBurn ( also free ) of the CDs then you can burn these exact copies back to CD with IMGBurn ( just thought of this way due to ripping a CD to ISO now for backup myself )

Should give you a few options to mull over.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  5. sach2

I thought of imgburn but wasn't sure about the ISO format. I got a box of CD-R's and ended up using Nero for copying. Unfortunately, I realize I don't have a stand alone CD device for testing. I can't believe it!

I'll see my mother this weekend and let you know how Nero did on the burn. It should be fine, I find Nero very reliable. Either way, I have a copy of the discs and 40 blanks if I have to play around with another software.

Thanks again for the help! It's been a project I've had on my list for months, and can hopefully check off the list for good this w/e. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds