Uninstalling programs

Discussion in 'Software' started by oskanth, Jul 1, 2008.

1. oskanth

oskanth Private E-2

Hi, my computer met with an accident (ex-roomie's cat + water), and after it was restored, several of the programs were inaccessible, but I am also unable to remove them, which is what i really want to do. I have tried the add/remove function, ccleaner, several other programs listed in other threads and trying to throw away the program files and then using the ccleaner, and I still can't get rid of the stuff. Is there anything out there that can remove the programs without asking me for the original disks for these programs (which i never had in the first place)?

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If I wish to remove programs that won't budge from add/remove and ccleaner also doesn't do it, I resort to finding the folders in C:\Programs and erasing the folder with everything in it (after checking to be sure it is what I want vanished). I suspect when you run ccleaner again, it might remove the registry entries. I use a program called Eraser. You can also select delete from the right click menu and hold the shift key so everything doesn't move to the recycle bin. After you've cleared out what you want, run defrag and the programs should be gone and space reclaimed.
    I reluctantly enter the registry to personally remove things, only after I've searched and found on the program's site, sometime manual methods for removal when uninstall leaves things behind.

3. oskanth

oskanth Private E-2

Hi,
    I think I got rid of them. They no longer show up in my Program Files, but they are still listed under the Add/Remove file list. Is there any way to get them off that list? Thanks.

4. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Several companies offer extra uninstallers from their homepages. And sometimes others have made special uninstallers because the companies didn't. So if you told us the names of the programs you are trying to get rid of, we would be able to offer more qualified help...

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If you go to the Tools menu in CCleaner, you can delete the entries that you no longer want to appear in the add/remove program list (make sure what you delete has been removed).

6. oskanth

oskanth Private E-2

i am trying to get rid of spss and sonic recordnow, the former I got from an online class i was taking and the latter was already installed on my computer. Since the computer was restored I haven't been able to access any of these files (not that i used the second one)...

7. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Well, since you lawfully obtained a copy of this Sonic program through this class that you attended you are entitled to their costumer support. It's a part of what you payed for.

For some reason I never really liked those costumer supports. They always let you down - staff usually have no clue what the program is really about. So I don't blame you for not asking them...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds