No sound :(

Discussion in 'Software' started by VampireOrchid, Jul 1, 2008.

1. VampireOrchid

VampireOrchid Private E-2

Ok. So for some strange reason my Cicero pc went all wacky today and I had to reinstall windows xp using my recovery cd. Now, for some odd reason I have no sound. That's never happened before. Anyways, using the info from another post I uploaded the report from Everest. I hope that helps, because I have no idea how to find out the info you guys need in order to help me.

Plz let me know what you think I should do. I use a set of pc speakers that I just plug in the back of the tower. I've had this pc for about 4 years and have never incountered a prob like this. Thanks guys and gals :D

Attached Files:

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Your report shows SiS audio

3. VampireOrchid

Uhmm...ok...so what does that mean? and how do I make it so that my speakers are the ones giving out the sound? :D

4. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Forget that last post. I was editing it and then went to eat.

Your report shows SiS 7012 as your audio, but your motherboard should have Reaktek.
    Do you know if you have add on sound card?
    Did you download any audio drivers and try to install them?

This is your chipset driver from Gigabyte.
    http://tw.giga-byte.com/Support/Motherboard/Driver_DownloadFile.aspx?FileType=Driver&FileID=2536

This is the SiS audio driver your Everest report shows:
    http://www.sis.com/download/download_step1.php

Install the chipset driver, than the audio.
    If there is a problem with installing the Sis driver, look in Add/Remove Prgrams and remove it. (Make sure you choose the SiS 7012 audio because you have other SiS drivers)

Then give the Realtek driver that Gigabyte says is 'sposed to be for your board.
    http://tw.giga-byte.com/Support/Motherboard/Driver_DownloadFile.aspx?FileType=Driver&FileID=817

5. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Ok the SIS link doesn't work, go here:
    http://www.sis.com/download/
    Input XP in step 1
    Input Audio in step 2
    Input Sis 7012 in step 3, click go.
    That'll get you to the download page.

6. VampireOrchid

OK so I downloaded the chipset...then this thingy here from the website you posted. It won't let me install it...gives me some weird error code...

7. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I'm confused here. I have never seen Everest say one thing and the motherboard site say another.
    According to Everest the SIS 7012 is the right driver.
    Could you retry installing it and posting what the error message is?

Also, look in Device Manager and tell me if there is anything in Other Devices and what is listed under Sound, Video, and Game Controllers.

Check: Device Manager for bad drivers.
    For XP: Go to Start>Control Panel> System. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager, then click the plus sign in front of Sound, Video, Game Controllers.

In Device Manager, if there is a ? in front of your audio device, that means no audio driver is installed.
    A ! means driver installation attempted but with problems.

8. VampireOrchid

Ok first...there is a '?' beside Other devices if you click + it says '?!' Multimedia Audio Controller

Now under Sound, video and game controllers I have the following listed

Audio Codecs
    Legacy Audio Drivers
    Legacy Video Caputer Devices
    Media Control Devices
    MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device
    Standard Game Port
    Video Codecs

There are NO '?' beside any of those

as for the error code i got it was something like -503blah blahblah....

BTW thanks for all the help you are giving me :D

9. VampireOrchid

Yeah still have no sound. The only thing I'm getting is a 'beep' when I click on something and that noise is coming from the tower only.

10. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Device Manager shows no audio driver installed at all. The device in Other is the one we need to get a driver to stick to.
    (Audio Codecs - Legacy Audio Drivers. These are important but don't work without the main audio driver)

Let's try the driver that Gigabyte says your board is supposed to use.
    http://tw.giga-byte.com/Support/Moth...ver&FileID=817

You mentioned that you have a Cicero PC. Do you know the model number?

Also, you need to update your Windows updates. You are still XP SP1.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2008
  11. VampireOrchid

I'm downloading the driver you posted for me right now.

As for the model number, I have no idea...I know it's inside the tower though...Is there any other way I can find that out...I hate taking this piece of junk appart lol

As for the windows...I updated it lastnight. I just reformatted my pc two days ago, so it was just slow with the updates I guess. It's now up to date ;)

I will let you know how that driver works

12. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I'm just curious what the Cicero site has to say about your audio. I hate to suggest wrong drivers, but it's weird that Everest says Sis and Gigabyte says Realtek.

Just found out that Cicero PC's are actually Medion PC's.
    See if this helps you find your ID number.
    Where can I find my identification number?

13. VampireOrchid

For some reason I can't seem to open this site....maybe it's because I'm still downloading that other thingy...hmmmm

14. VampireOrchid

Ok. So I tried to install that driver and that didn't work. It took like three hours and stayed at 78%

Am I a lost cause? lol

15. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Not yet :)

This should be the same driver:
    http://america.giga-byte.com/FileList/Driver/motherboard_driver_audio_realtek_whql.exe

It's a direct download, not a link to a page.

Also, if this doesn't work, the thumbnail shows where your ID info is.
    If you can give the any and all numbers, I should be able to get the driver your PC was shipped with.

One other thing, I should have asked earlier. Do you have a CD that came with PC, containing drivers?

Attached Files:

16. VampireOrchid

The only cd I have that came with the pc. Is the Recovery cd. The monitor cd. and Nero Express cd.

17. VampireOrchid

I have nothing like the thumbnail says, but I do have this

Model CB11A-4

Serial No 1094692

date of manufacture is 2/05/2004

and I'm downloading that other thingy now

18. VampireOrchid

WOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!! Musksnipe!!! I WUV YOU!!!

That totally worked!! Thank you oh so very much lol!!

Now all I have to do is figure out how to get my keyboard to control the volume again...

BUT I HAVE VOLUME

My god I feel like I just discovered fire or something lol THANK YOU MUSKSNIPE!!!!

19. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

:)
    I searched that serial number and model and come up blank. So I have no way of finding what was included in your PC to control the KB. You might just Google something like "keyboard volume controller" There is probably an app out there that will work for you.

And you're welcome.
    [​IMG]

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds