In over my head

Discussion in 'Software' started by elainelostinny, Jul 1, 2008.

1. elainelostinny

elainelostinny Private E-2

It looks like I registered with a group that is way beyond my ability and comprehension, but I am looking for help so will ask anyway. Every time I try to download a program that uses Java, the download finishes, then a small black screen pops on for a nanosecond and nothing completes. What is going on?

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Welcome to MG's......helping people understand their computers is what we are here for. :)

Try posting your question in the software thread. And I assume you have the latest Java installed : Java Runtime 6

I see someone moved you to software....

3. Sl@ck3r

Sl@ck3r Private E-2

Don't be intimidated...Thanks to MG (Major Geeks) I finally found out where my On/Off switch was on my computer! :-D

I'm a noobie as well but these folks are great! Stay a while and learn a ton!

Welcome to MG! :wave

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Are you able to find the item you downloaded?
    Also it helps if you mention what version of windows you are running and if you are downloading through a browser, what browser and version.

5. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

On the Java company's homepage they have this fine scanner. It will tell you what version of Java you have and what version you should have. But before you install new Java you should uninstall the old versions. So this is what to do:

1. Run a scan here but don't download yet: http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp
    2. If old Java is detected go to Add/remove programs and uninstall all old Java versions
    3. Run this special tool to get rid of the remains of old Java: http://prm753.bchea.org/JavaRa.html
    4. Now install the new Java version
    5. Reboot
    6. Install those other programs that failed before you updated your Java

6. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

And by the way, elainelostinny, I forgot something: if it didn't work :-D tells us and we'll come up with a better suggestion. ;)

7. elainelostinny

elainelostinny Private E-2

Thank you for the help. I just today got back to the problem and have downloaded a new Java. I do have to disable my CA security firewall to play the games, but that's no big deal. Now, how do I access the Smilies and other text choices in this forum? e

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds