Plugged-in laptop just like a Desktop?

Discussion in 'Software' started by frybo30, Jul 1, 2008.

1. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

Embarrassing question No. 32: I just got a laptop. It's almost always plugged into AC. Is it thus the same as a desktop as far as things such as screensavers are concerned? I never turn off my desktop or its monitor. Is it okay to also never turn off the laptop when it's connected to AC? Thanks.

2. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

Not much differance, I close mine up at night or when it won't be used for awhile. When not plugged it its a different story the laptop will do everything it can to save power when not being used.

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Remove the battery when plugged into AC. This will prolong the life of the battery as they cost lots of $$$ to replace eventually. Fit the battery every so often, and connect to AC, to check the amount of charge left in the battery.

Remember, a laptop with no battery connected is just like a desktop. If power goes off, you lose what you are working on. With the battery connected, you don't. You will have to balance one against the other. It really depends on the quality of your power from your power supplier, and the vagaries of weather.

I usually run on AC without batteries. Don't use laptop in stormy weather and turn off my laptop when I am not using it. Saves on electricity bills, too.

Bazza

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Not all laptops run without a battery in them.

5. bigbazza

I think most modern ones do. My 3 year-old Toshiba Tecra, and #2 sons new Acer Aspire does. Best way is to try it and see. It will either work, or it won't. ;) Bazza

===

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I run all my notebooks with the battery in and plugged to AC. One is from 1999, one from 2001 and the other from 2008. So far the batteries on the two older, operate about 2 - 2 1/2 hours off the mains. The same as when they were new. So if you were to ask me, I'd have to say, I notice no difference in battery life by keeping the battery in. About the only thing I do when I will be away for a bit is to close the lid to have the screen turn off.

7. bigbazza

Different strokes (and results) for different folks. :-D Bazza

8. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

Thanks to all.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds