Now what do I do ???

Discussion in 'Software' started by bigbazza, Jul 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

MS is asking me to load XP Pro SP3 CD to fix an error. Of course, I haven't got one. Do I need to un-install SP3 and then re-install it. :confused :confused

See thumbnail.

Bazza

Attached Files:

2. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

This usually comes up when you change software configuration. i.e. modifying part of MS Office. Or Windows detects change that requires the CD. Yon can cancel this box but it may also revert your change.

3. bigbazza

Yes, I changed from XP Pro SP 2 to SP3 and it is asking for my SP3 CD to correct the problem. As I said I don't have the CD. What next? Bazza

4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  5. bigbazza

Thanks baklogic. I was trying to get away from doing that, as I have already downloaded the *.exe file from MG and installed it. I'll have to do that "off-peak", maybe after midnight tonight when watching the Men's semi-finals at Wimbledon. :) Bazza

===

6. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

You actually found a very good Microsoft blunder here, bigbazza. Since Microsoft have stopped selling XP Home all together, - how many people will ever be able to materialise an genuine XP Home CD with SP3?

7. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

With slipstreaming.Get nLite,XP(Home or PRO with SP2) CD,download SP3 and start slipstreaming.

8. bigbazza

Just finished downloading the ISO file. 544.9MB, Took 30 minutes at an average speed of 301KB/s Finished at 1.21 am, watching Schuettler giving Nadal a hard time in the second set. 5-4 in the set. Off to bed. :-D Bazza

9. bigbazza

Thanks to baklogic for the link. Anyone looking for a small and simple program for burning an ISO file to CD might like to check out ISO CD BURNER.

I won't give a link to the Burner, as it in opposition to MG. Google it. Program is small (192kb) and does not need to be installed. Just click on the *.exe and run it. Just make sure the *.ISO file and the *.exe file are in the same folder. :)

A no frills program, but it worked for me. CD burnt and my laptop updated again with XP SP 3. :cool Bazza

10. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

bigbazza, surely we are allowed to link to our sources. All else would be against the law and I'm confident that MajorGeeks wouldn't assume a non-legal administrative policy for these forums. To accredit your sources, using legal citations and linking to documentation is of cause a part of all decent netiquette. On MajorGeeks as well as elsewhere. And that is the way it should be.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  11. bigbazza

There is no rule that I know of in MG that stops links to other sources, but the link I had is to another download site. I usually link to Author's site, if applicable, but I know one Moderator who doesn't like posts that link to other download sites. Google finds links quickly anyhow.

Tim and Jim might like to comment on MG acceptable procedure?
    Bazza

===

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  12. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

I can understand that using the links from MajorGeeks own downloads pages is considered the most polite thing to do. As a matter of fact I agree. But never the less linking to the source of origin can't be wrong. Academically there is a long tradition for preferring and recommending primary sources. And no one should be given any reason for accusing MajorGeeks of pursuing a non-professional modus operandi. MajorGeeks reputation wouldn't survive for very long if the organisation didn't acknowledge best practices...

13. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

There is an alternative to downloading the iso which contains multiple languages and files you will never need. That is to extract the exe file you downloaded to your hard drive then point the error window to the i386 file it creates, that should work.

If you want to know how to extract the exe just google "slipstream XP with sp3" most of those tutorials include how to extract sp3 to the hard drive so you can integrate it into your XP files, or you can use winrar or 7zip to extract the files as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds