Best cheap/free distro CD or small download

Discussion in 'Software' started by PC-XT, Jul 1, 2008.

1. PC-XT

PC-XT Master Sergeant

I have dial-up, so downloading just the kernel takes forever. (The ISP, which shall remain nameless, unless you do a search of my other posts, has reduced bandwidth to almost half the usual 48k on average.) I was considering getting a CD of something, but only need the basic source code, and a minimal installation to get started with a bash prompt. (That is, unless FreeBSD could be used to compile Linux source, as I have a CD of that.) Anyway, I know the source is larger than the binary, and I will probably need to get a CD if I don't want to spend days downloading a zip or gz file. If it takes longer than a few hours, I'll also need a better download manager. If anyone has ideas, they would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

4. PC-XT

PC-XT Master Sergeant

I thought of going to a library, but I don't think they can burn CDs at either of the ones I go to, although I haven't asked. I don't have a thumb drive, either.

I also wonder if a library has something like a shareware software section...?

5. Still Learning

Still Learning Private First Class

I have been trying to run an linxus OS on my 900mhz 128mb ram computer for the last couple days, i tryed the 4MB ram 50 meg HD damn small linux which seems to work wonders on a live CD, but gives me the grub error 15 when it trys to boot from a HD. I recenly got the linux bible 2006 and demian linux 3 seems to install work work quickly also, but i cant get a GUI, i tryed apt-get install <program> and it did not work , wget seems to work and install something but after i reboot it does not boot to wget install fluxbox or kde or whatever.. startx does not work. what can i do to get a GUI linux that requires very small resources like the ones above,i liked DSL but it seems not to work, slack ware, gentoo, openSUSE< they all seem to need 256 MB ram atleast. I am looking for something very minimal that will goto ftp, http websites, telnet, be a host maybe useing monkey server.

6. PC-XT

PC-XT Master Sergeant

My computer is also 128MB for now. I have some more RAM that I think will fit it, but don't know what I did with it. It only has 1 slot filled right now. I basically just want a bash prompt, but if others want to use it also, I guess it would be good to get a GUI as well on the CD. I was going to make my own GUI, possibly, (I have in DOS before,) but it would be very simple at first, and may stay that way. :)
    I would also like a browser, I guess. I'll use Lynx, but I also want a DHTML browser. I tried to make one myself, once, but it took too long. They're more complicated than word processors.
    Also, I might like a simple intranet server. I guess I can get those separately.

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

8. subgeeky

subgeeky Private E-2

I can run Ubuntu on a 198 MB 350 MHz 10 GB IBM machine, haven't tried WINE to hook up the wireless adapter. I believe Ubuntu needs 198 MB to install but can run on 128 MB.

9. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

CAN?

Have you actually installed on a small machine?

DSL or Puppy is smaller again using Blackbox or Fluxbox.

10. zencyl

zencyl Private E-2

yeah puppy is awesome, i think the one i have on my flash drive is using 40 megs right now, and its what i use when i use public computers so it has everything i need.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds