opening and using my old window files on vesta

Discussion in 'Software' started by lloyd4, Jul 1, 2008.

1. lloyd4

lloyd4 Private E-2

how can I open my windows 3.1 and 98 .files in windows vesta.

2. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Well, a lot of old software can't run on Vista systems. But ordinary files and folders should not be a problem. What formats and versions are we talking about? Word? Works?

3. lloyd4

lloyd4 Private E-2

hi,
    Thanks for your quick responce. I have a number of old files on disk and cd that I need to view. they are in windows 3.1 and 95 and 98 files.
    I would like to be able to use the macro's in these files.
    lloyd4

4. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

"windows 3.1 and 95 and 98 files" - this is not enough. We need to know more. Is it Works, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, NotePad, WordPad documents or what? No one can help you if you wont tell what files you have.

Microsoft have quite a number of compatibility packs like this one but you are on your own here if you keep insisting on "windows 3.1 and 95 and 98 files" as the only information you're willing to give. You'll have to find the right download yourself.

5. lloyd4

lloyd4 Private E-2

I am really sorry, I have words and excell files some more than 10 years old, please help.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

If wanting to open Office files, excel and word as you mentioned, Vista will not block you in opening these as you'll need to install Microsoft Office ( or equivilent ) to open these files and they should be ok, I have very old Word and Excel files and Office 2003 and 2007 both running in Vista will open them OK.

SO do you have a compatible version of Microsoft Office to install on Vista? Listing here

Microsoft also have for older Office versions some converters and viewers that maybe of help too HERE

If you dont have or wish to buy an updated version of Office thats compatible with Vista, then a suggestion is OpenOffice

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds