I think I pressed the wrong button

Discussion in 'Software' started by mineraledge, Jul 2, 2008.

1. mineraledge

mineraledge Private E-2

Hi,
    I hope someone can help, In "my computer" in XP I'm showing two extra "CD" Drives I & J Which do not exist I normally have Hard Drives C,D,E & H And One CD "F" and a DVD Which is "G" .I Don't Have any external "USB" devices at all. I think I may have pressed a button by mistake. Could someone please advise me on how to remove I & J. I do'nt seem to be able to delete them.
    Regards Mineraledge:eek:

2. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

What CD/DVD burning software are you using? :)

3. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

They might be virtual drives - in all likelihood. And they are often related to some CD/DVD stuff - one of your programs created them because they are needed. You are not necessarily in trouble here, chances are that they are supposed to be there. Lets hope that an expert will enter this thread so that you can get more precise information.

4. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

PS: if you have a suspect candidate among your programs - check it's "Help" guide. Search for virtual drive(s)...

5. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

Believe that all the "experts" are asleep now, and all that is left are us common everday computer users to help! The possibility of virtual drives was why I asked about the CD/DVD burning software being used. :major

6. mineraledge

mineraledge Private E-2

The Only Applications I am Using Are "X To DVD" and Windows media player For CD's. They have been on the computer for some time and the two extra drives have shown up recently. That's why I think I've pressed the wrong button While doing something, but I can't remember what?

7. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

It would appear that you have made an image of a CD on your hardrive that can be accessed as a regular CD by mounting with a virtual CD drive. I did some research on X to DVD which uses BlindWrite, and possibly a Daemon Tools plugin. The following link hopefully shows something like your screen looks and explains how to remove/disable the virtual drives. http://www.disc-soft.com/screenshots.

Should the above not help, this is the removal procedure for virtual drives, and although it mentions Alcohol 120 by name, it should work the same for your drives. http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/118373.

Hope this helps! :)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  8. mineraledge

mineraledge Private E-2

Hi Novice,
    Thanks for going to so much trouble. The second suggestion seemed to work. Everything Is now As It Should Be "I Hope";) By the way and it's getting away from the topic a bit do you live anywhere near where "Davy Crockett" Lived?
    Best Regards and thanks again Mineraledge

9. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

Glad that it worked! :) And I live roughly 350 miles from where Davy Crockett was born. :major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds