repairing XP Pro SP2 trouble

Discussion in 'Software' started by bluerage27, Jul 3, 2008.

1. bluerage27

bluerage27 Private E-2

Hi, I was told to post here from Malware thread regarding repairing my XP... TimW ask me to use repair my PC using my Windows CD... I got lock right know at Fatal error : The system cannot find message text for message number 0xfffffdf0 in the message file for Syssetup.dll.

I have try to change the catroot2 but still the error still appear I don't know what to do still got a malware issue to finish :(

thanks in advance

2. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

3. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

4. bluerage27

bluerage27 Private E-2

yup i have tried when i can still access windows explorer :) (now i'm trying the link you gave me) thanks!!!

I have tried it many times but still won't work

my problem now is I can't get into the windows explorer can't log in to windows. I can only access in the recovery from the windows cd..

5. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

Then do a full XP repair.While a repair install is designed to keep all of your data and programs intact, I highly advise that you backup everything you can before undertaking a repair installation. If something were to go wrong during the reinstall, it's possible that data loss could occur. Better to be safe than sorry!
    http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instxprepair1_4.htm
    and follow the instruction.

6. bluerage27

bluerage27 Private E-2

Hi! Akhilles I've try the Avira Link you give me but still I'm in stock in windows setup... still don't know what to do maybe i'm bound on reformatting my windows but have many files to salvage :) am I in a dead end here??? my windows won't install/repair the boot still got the NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM problem I can't copy at the recovery console..

7. bluerage27

bluerage27 Private E-2

Can any one help me on this...

when re-installing the windows and stop at the fatal error I press shift+F10

it brought me to the C:\Windos\system32\cmd.exe

when i look to help command i found an CACLS command (Displays or Modifies access control lists <ACLs> of files
    when I try the CACLS command and key in c: in a: drive this comes out:
    Code:
    C:\>Windows\system32 >cacls c:
    C:\>Windows\system32 BUILTIN\Users:R
                         BUILTIN\Users:<OI><CI><IO><special access:>
                                                   GENERIC_READ
                                                   GENERIC_EXECUTE
                         BUILTIN\Power Users:C
                         BUILTIN\Power Users:<OI><CI><IO>C
                         BUILTIN\Administrators:F
                         BUILTIN\Administrators:<OI><CI><IO>F
                         NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:F
                         NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM:<OI><CI><IO>F
                         BUILTIN\Administrators:F
                         CREATOR OWNER:<OI><CI><IO>F

8. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

What kind of PC is it? Dell? HP?

9. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

When you do repair XP install, what errors do you get?

10. bluerage27

bluerage27 Private E-2

I only build the specs (not branded)
    I do the repair last July 3, I'm having a malware problem before I repair, I was told by TimW to reapir it cause I'm having some trouble at my Process.dll (.Net Framework) to run the MGtools.
    The first error that i have encounter in repairing is having the ntldr and ntdetect.com I have already found some solution (fixntldr) but still can't copy it to my drive using recovery console. everytime I try to copy ntldr to C:\ it says access is denied.

The second error is about the
    SXS.DLL:Syntax error in the manifest or policy file "D:\I386\asms\2 default\defaultman" on line 6
    Installation failed:D:\I386\asms. Error Message. The manifaest file contains one or more syntax errors.
    I have fix this problem
    now i'm stock with this Fatal error : The system cannot find message text for message number 0xfffffdf0 in the message file for Syssetup.dll
    I can only use recovery console and when stop at the fatal error I press shift+F10 you can get to C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe

I think the virus has been manipulating my access because my administrator access is not even there...

hope to here from you guys thanks....

11. bluerage27

bluerage27 Private E-2

HI!! is this the end for me?? can I still retireive my files or reformat my OS

THANKS!!!

12. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

You need a live Windows disk made with a working Windows.

http://www.ubcd4win.com/

If that's not an option, google ntfs file manager for dos. Make a boot disk. You still need a 2nd partition or harddisk for storing your files.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds