Monitor goes black and pc reboots

Discussion in 'Software' started by cold_blur_20, Jul 4, 2008.

1. cold_blur_20

cold_blur_20 Private E-2

hi there,
    my problem is that after desktop loads on Win XP, i get a black screen (but seems to me its just covering the desktop cause i can still see a little part of it on the side) and after that, the computer reboots. This just happens sometimes.
    I believed it could be a malware problem but after I did all the cleaning, the problem persisted.

I got this BSOD error report:

*** STOP: 0x00000078 (0xF7B79524, 0x00000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I executed chkdsk but apparently nothing happened.

help please

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

There is VERY little information available about 0x00000078 errors, and what is available relates primarily to Windows NT. It may be a memory problem (run a RAM diagnostic to check the memory's physical integrity) or maybe run an in-depth test on your hard drive and make sure it's healthy. You can download the free hard drive test from your hard drive manufacturer's web site. Here's some info from Microsoft about your error. It's for NT but you can check and see if it will work for you also (some NT stuff works with XP).
    You can also take a look at this (also for NT) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/188831/en-us

Good luck!

(since this is for NT, I accept no responsibility if applying this info causes more problems - BE CAREFUL! Make a back up of the registry before doing ANYTHING!)

3. cold_blur_20

cold_blur_20 Private E-2

How do I run RAM diagnostic?

4. cold_blur_20

cold_blur_20 Private E-2

Ok i checked the hard disk for errors and nothing was found. But the problem's still there. The pc crashed again and i got another BSOD:

***STOP: 0x00000024
    (0x001902FE, 0xF40C32B8, 0xF40C2FB4, 0x2F11804F)

I havent ran a RAM diagnostic yet cause i don't know how to.
    hope to hear from u soon

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What Windows Version you using and is it fully upto date?

Have you installed any new hardware or installed any new drivers or software? if so what.

Can you boot into Safe Mode (F8 at boot and choose Safe Mode with Networking ) and does your PC work ok without Black Screen and reboot?

With first stop error linking to ram and 2nd one above linking to the NFTS file system, could be a heat issue that can cause random errors, so what sort of temps is your PC producing ( are insides clean and free from dust and fluff )? Can use this simple temp monitor to check temps.

For a ram test then two ways to do this from Floppy or CD, get whichever media version you have of Memtest86+ as I know some PCs dont these days have floppy drives, then at boot enter your BIOS ( quick flash at boot will tell you key/s to press ) then change the boot order so that the 1st boot device is either the floppy or CDRom drive, pop into whichever drive you copied the software too the disk, then save and exit BIOS.

If using the CD ISO version use this free software IMGBurn to burn to a bootable CD ( can use a CDRW, this way you can erase and reuse the CD again for something else )

Only have one ram chip in the PC at a time when doing ram tests.

Do you have another graphic card to test in the PC?

6. cold_blur_20

cold_blur_20 Private E-2

It's not the ram, i checked it and its alrgiht. I just cleaned the insides, remove all the dust and stuff. The fans are working alright too, and the problems presists. But I noticed that whenever the computer crashes or reboots, there's like a "click" sound somewhere, i cant figure out what is it. any ideas?

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Did you test the RAM by running MemTest86 at bootup? If not, how did you test the RAM?

Another cause of the stop error 24 is the hard disk drive controller. I wonder if the click you re hearing is from the hard drive?

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

9. cold_blur_20

cold_blur_20 Private E-2

plodr, i checked the ram just the way it's described on the previous post.
    I hear the click somewhere near the hard drive so it might be it. But i also checked it before with seatools (a program for maxtor disks, mine is maxtor.) and no problems were found. tell me more about that driver problem, maybe that coudl help

10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Not driver but the hard disk drive controller.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_controller
    hen this goes out, the hd and the CPU stop talking to each other.
    I don't know if it could click. I'm thinking back to the days when the Iomega zip drives were supposed to be the next great thing. Then lots of them started clicking and the drive became toast. I sold my zip drive before I heard the click of death.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds