Cannot open file

Discussion in 'Software' started by frybo30, Jul 4, 2008.

1. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

What do I do when I get the message about Windows cannot open this file? The program I used to create the file is not listed. I know about showing hidden files. This particular file extension is psafe3. Thanks.

2. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Exactly what program did you used to create the file? This is how to see hidden files according to Microsoft:

To see hidden files:

1. On the Tools menu in Windows Explorer, click Folder Options.
    2. Click the View tab.
    3. Under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders.

Note: To access Windows Explorer, click Start, point to All Programs, and then click Windows Explorer.

3. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

It's an online password saver called PasswordSafe. And while we're at it, what do you think of such using programs instead of having a printed list of passwords?

4. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

I think having both must be how to go about it. It's a risk to keep passwords for credit cards and banks in a computer. But apart from just these few ones you can have the rest in some sort of vault or password keeper. Actually I don't pay online at all. Never did. I email my bank and have them transfer the amount for my online purchases. I never activated any online bank accounts or credit cards so I'm not even registered. I'm that careful.

5. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

How about ordering things online, when a password is needed to enter the site? I always figured that giving out your credit card number online to a reputable company is no more dangerous than paying at a store in person with your credit card.

6. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

That's two different things, isn't it? A password for ordering is a separate thing. I just order online. Then email my bank. And the online store processes the order when they receive the money. From the bank. I do not transfer money via my computer. Period.

If the online store do not have any procedures for this, I'll buy elsewhere. Simply. I'm very stubborn about this.

7. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

Not a bad idea.

8. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Yes. I order and I buy online. But I do not pay online. They'll get their money via bank transferal. On the banks responsibility. Not mine. :) Online thieves can hack the bank but not me. I have no registered online bank accounts or online credit card accounts.

9. pnoman

pnoman Private E-2

Hey, frybo, you might like KeePass. It works great, easy to use, one master password, locks itself automatically (or on switching users) if you want it to or when closing or after set time interval, and runs in background on taskbar so you can use user configured hot-key for entering data on web pages (control+alt+a is default).
    It automatically searches your database for the title of the web page you're on and enters any data or strings (default- user name,tab,password,tab,enter)-just click on the first field (usually user name) and hit the hot keys. It will put as many entries on the page (account numbers, extra required info to log in or access,etc.) in any order required.
    Found it on MajorGeeks:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/KeePass_Password_Safe_d5939.html

10. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

Well, thank you for that. I thought this thread was dead by now. I came across KeePass during a web-surf and tried it and liked it--better than PasswordSafe.

11. pnoman

pnoman Private E-2

I came across your "dead" thread while searching MG Forums for a thread tracer because I also couldn't access a file I knew I didn't need and wanted to delete. WinXP kept telling me it was in use by another program or process, but not which one or how to disassacoiate it. I found Process Explorer by MS (actually Sysinternals) which you can just use or have it open in place of your regular Task Manager. Very powerful and informative on Windows system but a bit much when you only need your normal TM (does the same things and more). It may have been useful with your original problem.
    Found it here:http://www.majorgeeks.com/Process_Explorer_d4566.html
    Anyway, overwhelmed by my voluminous, growing, scribbled notebook full of account log-in info and not wanting to just save it in an unsecured document or text file I saw a good review of PasswordSafe at PC Magazine
    (aren't they all good unless you read the reader/user reviews). Probably just me, but I couldn't get the thing to work right so I scrapped it for KeePass.
    Well, thanks for acknowledging my reply. Since we both run Windows systems I imagine I'll see you in the forums again sometime. If you're interested, there's another pretty good help forum called Tech Support Guy. I've been using it for a long time. It's similar to MG Forums (no BS, illegal, or offensive stuff allowed).
    This'll take you to the forum page:http://forums.techguy.org/

12. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

Thanks again. I do know about Tech Support Guy and have it in my list of forums to check. BTW, off-topic I know, but do you know how to quote just part of a post in a reply? I only needed to use your suggestion on Tech Support Guy in this reply.

13. pnoman

pnoman Private E-2

I wasn't exactly sure but:
    Put your cursor in the Quote section (between the bracketed -[ ]- commands and edit. For this one I held down the Delete key up to BTW, added the three dots, right-arrowed the cursor to the end of reply? and added three more dots. Make sure to leave the start ([quote..] and end [/quote] commands there.

14. pnoman

pnoman Private E-2

Speaking of off-topic I'm just waiting for an administrator to bawl us out for not making a new thread- I'm not sure how all the forum rules work- but I just tried to private message you and got a message saying you need to have 50 posts to PM someone.

15. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

Well, it worked for you. And if I understood you correctly, the quote in your reply should be missing the "I wasn't exactly sure portion in this reply.

16. pnoman

pnoman Private E-2

Now that we're both getting to be experts on editing the quote section!
    Anyhow, when you think you're done with your reply hit the "Preview Post" button before submitting (that's how I knew my answer would work before posting).
    And here's one for you- between "Preview Post" and Submit.. I sometimes get the log-in window again. Good thing I've got KeePass (ctrl+alt+a) because it also happened when I was composing my other posts while finding and copying the shortcuts I used. Was that an issue for you or is it just my settings or something causing it?

17. frybo30

frybo30 Master Sergeant

No, it wasn't. And thanks for reminding me about previewing my post.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds