acer aspire 5100 Audio problems.

Discussion in 'Software' started by parmonie, Jul 4, 2008.

1. parmonie

parmonie Private E-2

I have an Acer Aspire 5100-5674 (that's what it says on the sticker on the bottom). My audio stopped working last night. I'm not sure why, but I can't get anything. I've searched other threads, downloaded new drivers, restarted twice and still nothing. I went to Device Manager and there's no Sound/Audio tab to check for anything. I downloaded Everest and this is what I have:
    Computer:
    Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Home Edition
    OS Service Pack -
    DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
    Computer Name OWNER-PC
    User Name Owner

Motherboard:
    CPU Type Unknown, 1600 MHz
    Motherboard Name Acer Aspire 5100
    Motherboard Chipset ATI Radeon Xpress 200M, AMD Hammer
    System Memory 768 MB (Registered DDR SDRAM)
    BIOS Type Phoenix (05/16/07)

Display:
    Video Adapter ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 (256 MB)
    Video Adapter ATI Radeon Xpress 1100 (256 MB)
    3D Accelerator ATI Radeon Xpress 200M (RS482M)
    Monitor Generic PnP Monitor

Multimedia:
    Audio Adapter ATI SB450 - High Definition Audio Controller

If you need more, let me know. Thanks in advance!

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Go into the Control Panel and look at the settings in Sound/Audio Controllers (or whatever it's called in Vista). Make sure that it lists the correct device in the Hardware section, and make sure that everything is turned up and that nothing is muted. Most laptops also have hotkeys and/or quick-launch keys for turning the volume up or down and for muting; be sure none of those have been turned all the way down or muted. Lastly, you can try a system restore to 2 or 3 days ago and see if that solves the problem.

3. parmonie

parmonie Private E-2

I went to Sound in CP, but it says none are installed. I went to System Restore and the earliest restore point is for after the sound disappeared. :( My laptop doesn't have a mute button, just volume control with the Fn key and the volume on the arrow keys. (I lied...I just saw it on the F8 key. I tried and nothing happened.) I usually get the little volume picture thing (<o ||||||||) but nothing is there.

4. Mallies

Mallies Private E-2

5. parmonie

parmonie Private E-2

I don't think it's under warranty anymore. I bought it last August and my mom doesn't remember if we have it or not. I think I told her to get it. I've had bad luck with some computers already. I think it's probably the sound card, as does my mom (she's a geek :)). We're just not sure what kind to get. Any suggestions?

6. parmonie

parmonie Private E-2

It is under warranty until 8/12/08. I can't afford to send it back and not get it back in time for school. Can I go back to where I bought it?

7. Mallies

Mallies Private E-2

Where are you? Here in South Africa the standard warranty is first year fetch and carry and you then buy an extended 3 year upgrade.

First year fetch and carry means they send a courier to you to collect the machine, send it to their repair centre and courier it back to you.

You need to check the local Acer rules. I guess the best place to start is by contacting Acer themselves (they should have a helpline you can call). They should be able to track your machine from the serial number and advise you on what to do. They are normally very good with turnaround times with repairs, so hopefully you should get it back within a week. When do you go back to school?

8. parmonie

parmonie Private E-2

I go back to school September 3. I'm in America. I went to the Acer site and I registered the machine when I got it last August. I'll have to contact them and see what they can do. I've been on a few other forums and I was advised to check my sound card and possibly replace it. What kind would I need? I can't find the info anywhere.

9. Mallies

Mallies Private E-2

If you go to the Acer website and look under Support, you will find how to contact them. If you registered your pc with them, they will have a record of it and will be able to help you.

You can't replace a sound card on a notebook because it is built in to the motherboard. More than likely Acer will replace the m/b for you.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds