AVG Question

Discussion in 'Software' started by Calltaker, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Calltaker

Calltaker MajorGeek

Just wondering if anyone else is using AVG. Lately it seems as though every night when it updates, I am forced to do a restart in the morning when I sit down.

I am running WinXP with all current updates. Just wondering if it is an AVG thing or if I have other problems I should be checking into.

Thanks in advance all!!

~C

2. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

If it's freeware we are talking about you'll need to check if you have the latest version which is AVG AntiVirus Free Edition 8.0.135 . And yes people have a few more problems than they used to. Mainly because AVG is failing to stop and/or remove malware a little to often. Lately a general consensus seems to have emerged that the free AVG is not what it used to be. It's falling behind. The quality of the freeware programs Avira Antivir and avast! both receive more acknowledgement - especially Avira Antivir. And Avira Antivir really deserves it.

3. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Avira Antivir is also available for download here at MajorGeeks.

4. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

i quit using avg 8, it tends to interfere with divx,s updater, you better off using some other anti virus software.
    plus in my previous thread i had a problem updating it.
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=163328

5. lisaschon

lisaschon Private E-2

I have been using Avast for a couple of years and had no problems, it is updated automatically, but you will see by my post that I put up today I am now having big problems.

I tried to do a thorough scan with Avast and it just froze up. When I installed Mcafee it came up with hundreds of errors including one that actually controls your system -which is what I thought was happening. Avast did nothing to stop these entering my system despite it checking all incoming and outgoing information.

Yes they have gone down hill and I won't be using it again - not after the problems I am having now.

Lisa:major

6. vagabond

vagabond Private E-2

Man, I recently removed all my anti virus software after watching this video on avg 8, and decided to use it as my sole virus protection. Actually, I use comodo firewall which has an anti virus scanner. It seemed to me to be a major improvement over previous versions and I've had no problems with it so far, but maybe, I should go ahead and use Avira in addition to avg.

7. vagabond

vagabond Private E-2

I thought that was only with firewalls. Maybe I'm wrong.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds