VB Programming

Discussion in 'Software' started by Nellington, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Nellington

Nellington Private E-2

Hi Guys,

Very basic stuff here I know but would appreciate a steer in the right direction.

I am trying to make a simple interface to help people find their way round a shared drive that is a mass of folders within folders by making a VB program with some buttons that will open folders that are used the most.

Any idea what the script is to open a folder or file and link it to the button??
    For example, if I wanted the button to open "my documents" what would I have to type on the scripting page to make this happen?

Also, any ideas where I can find a simple online guide? I have had a look at a few which are a bit too high level. I am in Afghanistan at the moment so there is no chance of popping into Waterstones to buy a book............

Many thanks.

2. Assembler

Assembler Private E-2

3. Nellington

Nellington Private E-2

That's brilliant, thank you. I found this guide really useful and managed to get quite a bit done.

I am currently using VB Express Edition 2008, the free copy that you can download from Microsoft.
    In the guide I was looking at it mentions inserting a "Data Control" onto my form, inluding a picture of what this looks like. I have had a look for it and it appears to be missing from this version, is there something with a different name that has replaced this??

I have got an Excel Database with loads of records on it and I am trying to make an interface in VB which will allow users to search for a name and then see all the fields for that rercord displayed in boxes. Likewise I want people to be able to add records in this interface. Is there anyway of doing this if the datacontrol function is missing from the Express edition??

Cheers guys.

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

gratuitous pimping of the company I work for: www.learnvisualstudio.net

If you want to open folders, use the folderdialog control. You can designate the default path to open up to.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds