Application Removal Help

Discussion in 'Software' started by Vig, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Vig

Vig Private E-2

Howdy,

A long time ago I installed Empire Earth II. I deleted the program but the desktop icon remained. I contacted the publisher of the game and they gave me a crazy long process to remove it. I decided I could live with the icon.

Today I've been doing some major hard drive cleaning and came back to that old icon. I heard about KillBox and thought I'd give it a go. It said it cannot delete the file. I also regularly run CCleaner, Ad-Ware, AVG and Spybot. None of them have ever brought this file up as an issue.

The file is: "C:\Documents and Settings\Skin\Desktop\EmpireEarthIISetup-dm.exe"

When I try and delete it, I get an error saying that it is being used by another file. I even tried it from Command Prompt to no avail. To my knowledge all associated files have been deleted long ago.

And and all help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Seeing as this is not a malware issue I am moving it to the software section.

Try doing this:

download The Avenger by Swandog469, and save it to your Desktop.
    * Extract avenger.exe from the Zip file and save it to your desktop
    * Run avenger.exe by double-clicking on it.
    * Do not change any check box options!!
    * Copy everything in the Quote box below, and paste it into the Input script here: part of the window:

* Now click the Execute button.
    * Click Yes to the prompt to confirm you want to execute.
    * Click Yes to the Reboot now? question that will appear when Avenger finishes running.
    * Your PC should reboot, if not, reboot it yourself.
    * A log file from Avenger will be produced at C:\avenger.txt and it will popup for you to view when you login after reboot.

Then see if it was removed.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Moved your thread as its not really a malware thing, so moved to software for others to answer as malware is limited in who can reply to you.

Try safe mode to delete as in that way, whatever process is holding onto the file, should not be running, also try the below

1. MoveOnBoot this one, once you dragNdrop the file or browse for its location, deletes the file on reboot, so any applications that have locked the file are not running so cannot lock it before deletion.. my fav!
    2. Unlocker

Also try these in safe mode if they dont work in normal mode

*snap TimW*

4. Vig

Vig Private E-2

Tried 'Avenger' and it couldn't delete it. Tried 'MoveOnBoot' and it's gone! Thanks a ton!!

Have a GREAT weekend!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds