AVG 8 Challenge

Discussion in 'Software' started by studiot, Jul 5, 2008.

1. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

2. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

People have been saying that AVG is falling behind for a few months now and that their freeware is not what it used to be. It appears to be true. Sad story.

3. solaris89

solaris89 First Sergeant

The Link Scanner is easily deactivated in the user interface of AVG; I didn't notice in the ZDnet article where they even bothered to mention that. And what it does is rather tame when compared to other instances of "badware".

4. paramonks

paramonks Corporal

I was using the 7.5 version on a desktop, I got tired of the daily nag to upgrade to the paid version, so I uninstalled. Here in aussie we have a dedicated site to broadband suppliers and plans, the benevolent dictator of that site is leading a charge to get people to uninstall version 8 as it is causing all sorts of problems, huge discussions going on over this latest version.

Paramonks

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:wave Hi studiot! Haven't seen you around these parts in a while.... interesting article. I'll have to keep an eye on this and see what develops. I deal with lots of novice PC users on a regular basis, and I always recommend and install AVG as it is very easy to use for the noob crowd. It does everything automatically, and when an alert pops up, it's easy for a noob to interpret what's happening and to choose a course of action. I was also recommending to NOT install the AVG toolbar when using the new AVG (I hate toolbars of all kinds; Google, Yahoo, whatever; I hate 'em all equally). I don't really have a good reason behind not installing the toolbar, I just don't install it out of my feelings about all toolbars; right or wrong, that's what I do. Now it looks like I'm going to have to change another default setting when installing AVG. I liked 7.5; install it with defaults, set it to auto update, and that was it.

EDIT- I just went to the Grisoft web site to find out exactly what Link Scanner and the toolbar are all about. The toolbar is connected to Link Scanner (I knew I didn't install it for a reason), but it appears that Link scanner is only built into the commercial versions of AVG; meaning that the free version does not include the Link Scanner discussed in the article linked to above. More info about the Link Scanner can be found here: http://www.grisoft.com/ww.faq.num-1189?fht=51-1188#faq_1189 (the second sentence clearly states that it's part of the commercial releases). More info about the toolbar can be found here: http://www.grisoft.com/ww.faq.num-1188?fht=51-1189#faq_1188

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I'm still running 7.5. I figure I'll give AVG a few months to shake the bugs out of version 8. I read over the installation and at first, you needed to go the command line route to install v8 without the toolbar and the site advisor. Now it appears, they must have heard the complaints and apparently the latest build will allow you to bypass those two items provided you do a custom build. For me, custom build is the norm. I never use the default install. I like to look over my options when I install.
    I know because the current version is both antivirus and antimalware, I'll have to remove something. I have three computers running windows to choose from. Since I'm beta testing VIPRE on my test computer, that one is out. My husband's computer is also out. I never install something on his computer that I haven't first tested and noted the idiosyncrasies. I alert him what to look for before it happens so I avoid any frantic cries for help. My last computer has a paid subscription to CounterSpy so I hesitate to remove something I'm paying for to test a free product. I suspect in a short time VIPRE will be out of beta, I can remove it and test AVG 8. If I don't like it, I'll try Avast (this is just antivirus).

dlb, even though link scanner might not be operational, all the plumbing is included in the free version - hence the bloat.

7. solaris89

solaris89 First Sergeant

Not true...this is my free home version.

Attached Files:

8. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I'm just repeating what I read at the Grisoft web site. Here's the link:
    http://www.grisoft.com/ww.faq.num-1189?fht=51-1188#faq_1189
    So if it's included and functional in the free version, Grisoft has some explaining to do (I think they have some explaining to do anyway by even including the Link Scanner with any version).

This is one more reason why I have always used Avira's free AntiVir on my personal home PC. ;)

9. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I'm glad I started this thread because it's a subject that needs a good airing.

A very common "by the way" is
    I'm having trouble with my AntiVirus
    Is it AVG? ( used to be is it Norton?)
    Yes

A "by the way" happens with most customers after they have stated their apparent main reason for callout. Sometimes just as I'm about to leave.

Anyway I say that about 50% of my customers have problems with AVG at the moment, so I can either uninstall it and replace it with something else (guaranteed) or try to sort the AVG with about 50% chance of success. This is both for the free and paid version.

So far only one customer has elected to remain with AVG, because AVG 8 installed OK on his laptop. The upgrade to 8 finally installed after an hour and a half of chuntering.

A week later he said AVG 8 is slowing thing down, on the laptop as well.

So there we have it, in my experience, many users have had AVG for quite a long time and liked it so they (tried to) upgraded to 8.

About 50% have problems.

I need a reliable installation or fix I can offer customers not a 50% gamble.They all seem to go through this cycle of over-egging a well respected product. I've seen it with Norton, Panda, Kaspersky and others and then the customer base votes with its feet and takes its wallet somewhere else.

And thanks for the useful information published by diehard AVG users.

10. solaris89

solaris89 First Sergeant

Not to split hairs here, but if you had repeated what the Grisoft web site said, I wouldn't have needed to post the screenshot.

Your quote said it was only built into the commercial versions; the website doesn't say only, it says all.

11. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

The web site says:
    That is copied directly from the link above. Since the free version is not a commercial release (since 'commercial' means that it is being sold and not given away), I figured that it was only included in the commercial releases. I was obviously wrong. Big deal. But I'm not going to argue about what it clearly states at the AVG web site.

12. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

The thing is, is that this is very misleading. If AVG wanted to say that it was included with all versions, they should have said that, but they said "all commercial editions" which leads people to believe that it is not included with the free version, which obviously isn't the case. I may have jumped to conclusions, but this just illustrates what AVG implies with the quoted sentence above. I have no problems with admitting that I made a mistake by saying that the Link Scanner is not included in the version, it obviously is and I was obviously wrong in saying otherwise. But the only reason I said this in the first place was because of the above statement made by AVG.

I'll say it again:
    This is one more reason why I have always used Avira's free AntiVir on my personal home PC.

[dlb]
    I'm out.

13. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I'm an ex avid fan of AVG having used it for the last 6 years but going to AVG 8 was a mistake for me, slowed my rig right down. So I've since moved on to Avast which is just as 'friendly' as AVG IMO. Thanks for all those good years AVG.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds