firmware

Discussion in 'Software' started by avair, Jul 5, 2008.

1. avair

avair Private E-2

How do I find out what firmware my DVD rw has at the moment it's a Pioneer 112D running XP pro and would it be worth a firmware update.

2. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

XP is dead. Microsoft just killed it. So it depends on how long you plan to keep XP. From now on we can buy Vista or Vista. :cry

3. avair

avair Private E-2

Yes keeping XP for now

4. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Start -> right click on My Computer -> Properties -> Hardware tab -> Device Manager.

5. avair

avair Private E-2

That still doesn't tell me what firmware it has

6. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

Sorry. Firmware and hardware is not the same thing. Must have been asleep. :eek:

7. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

General rule of thumb regarding firmware (from what someone who knows told me anyway) is unless you are experiencing problems with your hardware, you should not upgrade your firmware.

Try going into your Device Manager and right clicking and the click on properties. See if you can find any info about your firmware that way.

8. Petaluma

Petaluma First Sergeant

9. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

10. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

What you do (and this works for almost all rom drives) is to go into Device Manager and to the drive, right click properties and on the window that opens go to the DETAILS Tab and look at the line in the window below, here is 112D's:

IDE\CDROMPIONEER_DVD-RW_DVR112D_____________1.24

That last number, or in some cases numbers and letters, will be the firmware version.

11. avair

avair Private E-2

Thanks for the info I downloaded the firmware checker and it says it has the latest firmware so thanks once again to those who answered

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds