i need help with my download speed

Discussion in 'Software' started by dust, Jul 6, 2008.

1. dust

dust Private E-2

i have followed ur advice on removing malware..it detected a few adware and ive removed it already but my download speed is still very slow...i am using smart security now,spyware terminator and windows defender both antispyware on real time protection, and on demand scanning with malwarebytes and superantispyware...i also use bitdefender antirootkit..

i hope we can solve my slow download speed:)

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

I suspect that having real time scanning using two programs is the cause. But this is not a malware issue so I will send you to the software section.

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Agree with Tim. 2 programs could be conflicting with one another. What operating system are you using? Some computer specs would help. Are you on Dialup, ADSL, ADSL2, Cable or whatever? What tweaks have you done to attempt tp speed up your download speeds. Where are you and how far from your ISP / download provider? More info will help.

Check out How Fast Is Your Internet at http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=160415 for an idea of the variables associated with downloads and distance and Suppliers.

Bazza

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Your download speed is determined by two things both out of your control: your ISP and the site you are attempting to download from.

5. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

What is it that you are trying to download? A lot of Microsoft downloads takes forever...

6. bigbazza

One other thing is that you can tweak hell out of your modem settings, usually by trial and error, if you are using up to XP OS. Vista apparently does need this, according to Halo.

With my first Broadband router I gained nearly a 6x increase in download speeds from the default settings in 26 minutes of tweaking, from 276kbps to 1466kbps from the same OZ-->Florida Speed test.

Google "tweak broadband" for some help.
    http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=...=&as_occt=any&cr=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&safe=images

Bazza

===

7. bigbazza

Oooooops

Should read

Vista apparently does NOT need this, according to Halo. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Bazza

8. bigbazza

9. oma

oma MajorGeek

"There is, however, one little tweak that users of XP Pro can use (sorry, no gpedit in XP Home )"

Borrowed the above from dllb's post in the second link Bigbazza posted about.

I've got XP Home - so no dice. :(

10. bigbazza

You can still tweak XP Home and use DrTcp to load your settings as per the google links and my link. Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds