AVG 8 has screwed up

Discussion in 'Software' started by Leepy Lee, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Leepy Lee

Leepy Lee Private E-2

I've read lots of stuff about AVG8 v AVG7.5 and all the issues around upgrading. Surely I can't be the only one who's pc is now without either version working!

I downloaded AVG8 & installed it using the setup programme. It said it would uninstall 7.5 which it duly did. Once installed and the pc rebooted, I got warning that some of the modules were in error state and the virus database was out of date. So I ran the update and let it install the latest definitions. Still showed same errors.

OK, try to uninstall 8 and re-install 7.5 which had been working fine. Now, 7.5 fails to install, telling me in an error window "Could not initialise AVG Anti-Virus kernel interface." "Application cannot run." Only option is to click OK.

So now 7.5 wont start, it won't un-install because that brings up the same error... "Application cannot run." and 8 will not now install because it get's as far as checking the system, tells me it will have to uninstall previous version, then as soon as the Installing files window opens, it just hangs. At this stage Task Manager shows that AVG installation is not responding.

I've done a few system restores, going back over six weeks when everything was working fine, but am still getting the same errors.

At this point I'd be really greatful for any help, because the avg free forum is a total waste of space! (... and of course, MG is the bestest ever site!)

Anyone help please?

2. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

If you did custom installs, do default/express instead.

3. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I think your uninstalling AVG 8 at that point may have been premature. If you have given it awhile longer and tried updating again, I believe all errors might have been resolved.

At this point, I suggest installing CCleaner and running it's scans, including the Registry scan. Once you've done that, try using CCleaner's Uninstall tool instead of Windows Add or Remove Programs panel to remove AVG 7.5. I can't guarantee this will work, but I believe it's worth an attempt.

If that works, you can then decide whether to reinstall AVG 7.5, AVG 8.0, or make a transition to some other anti-virus program. Seems like you might want to avoid AVG 8.0 for now.

4. Blueheeler

Blueheeler Private E-2

I've been using AVG free for years and had no trouble with it, but version 8.0 does have its problems. I switched to Avira free last week and it's going well.

5. Leepy Lee

Leepy Lee Private E-2

Well I've uninstalled as much of avg as I can find and installed avast4.

Now I seem to remember avg 7.5 was beginning to go wrong in that it used to hang midway through a scan - never on the same file though. That was partly the prompt to upgrade to avg 8.

Now avast is hanging at about 10% of the way through a full scan. Have rebooted several times and restrated the scan several times - it still hangs on 10% - again on different files.

I think I'm off over to the malware removal section... again!

Unless anyone else has any better ideas...

Cheers,
    Lee

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds