Disk I/O error, help

Discussion in 'Software' started by thecandlelady, Jul 6, 2008.

1. thecandlelady

thecandlelady Private E-2

Hello, everyone. I hope this is how you do this! Well here goes.! I'm re-building or repairing a Compaq Presario 5151. I had a problem with the boot file being corrupted and was told to do a scandisk then format drive c, well, it took out the operating system. Thats the first problem. 2nd the cd-rom will not read a cd, just spins, put is a floppy, it then comes up with the "Disk I/O error replace disk and press any key." I've tried to put in an operation disk to reinstall and upgrade at same time, wont do it. Says "Missing Operating System" and sits there.. By the way how do you get into the Bios of the Compaqs??? Thank you for anything to help me with!!!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Well, when you type "format c:" it does just that; it formats the hard drive and erases everything on it. So that includes the operating system and all programs and data. Most Compaq use F2 or F10 for the BIOS; be sure to set the CD drive as the first boot device. If it won't boot to your OS disc, try a different bootable CD. If you can't boot to any CDs, it could be that the CD drive isn't working correctly and needs replacement. Most PCs will respond with "Missing Operating System" when they try to boot to drive C: and can't find anything there because drive C: has been erased by formatting or is otherwise blank or corrupt.

3. thecandlelady

thecandlelady Private E-2

I'll be right back! but thank you!!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds