Unable to update Windows XP to SP3

Discussion in 'Software' started by owlbug, Jul 6, 2008.

1. owlbug

owlbug Private First Class

I have attempted on three occasions that I remember to install SP3, and each time I have the same failure. I just went through the malware forums to make sure my computer was clean, and they recommended I come over here and ask for assistance. I also have an issue updating Microsoft Office.

2. luckyvic

luckyvic Corporal

3. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

4. owlbug

When I tried downloading it from Microsoft I had the same problem; it said access denied. I have some program that displays the service pack build info on my desktop; is that possibly keeping me from updating?

5. owlbug

Well, I'm still having the issue. I went to Microsoft, who told me to go to Dell. Dell tried to help and then said it was a Microsoft issue and that they can't help me without me giving them dollars. There is an indication from Microsoft that anti-spyware or antivirus programs might be the culprit. Argh... I'm still working on it.

6. luckyvic

luckyvic Corporal

This the instructions I got from Micorsoft tech,

1. Download Windows XP SP3 from the link below:

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f3d4&DisplayLang=en

Note: The above link is also appropriate for home users. Please save the file on the Desktop. Since the file is large, it may take about 20 minutes even if you are using high-speed Internet connection, please be patient.

If the download page cannot be accessed, we could download the SP3 file from the link below directly:

Windows XP Service Pack 3

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...2ce3edf42d/WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe

2. Restart the computer and keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

3. Choose Safe Mode, and press Enter.

4. Double click the downloaded file "WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe" on the Desktop to install Windows XP SP3 in Safe Mode.

When you're done reboot in Normal mode, you can delete the file.

7. owlbug

I finally got it. Thanks. =)

8. luckyvic

luckyvic Corporal

What worked for you? Just curious.

Glad you got it.

9. owlbug

I downloaded SP3 from windows, but instead of rebooting in safe mode I ran some script that Microsoft recommended that reset my registry because some program was blocking access to a file that was needed to complete the SP3 update. I think it is probably safer to do it the way you did, by rebooting in safe mode. I wish I would have thought of that.

10. luckyvic

luckyvic Corporal

OK, when I was having my problem, someone (not here) suggested I run a script as well ( I don't remember which one). I didn't feel comfortable messing with the registry and contacted MS.
    Either way you got to it work.

peace out,

11. jayenmelb

jayenmelb Private E-2

My Easy Solution to - Re: Unable to update Windows XP to SP3

I solved, after months of doing everything Microsoft told me to no avail, my system refusing to update to SP3 as well as go beyond IE6 and Microsoft Media Player 9. I got the same failed to install on all 3 when trying to update. The same solution fixed all problems immediately and I was able to update to SP3, IE8 and Media Player 11.

It was simply re-naming the file extention on one file in the System 32 folder.

Change SPUPDSVC.EXE to SPUPDSVC.BAK in your System32 folder

It worked for me.

J

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds