Wireless connection issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tribmartyr, Jul 10, 2008.

1. tribmartyr

tribmartyr Private E-2

Hey everyone.

My dad has a wireless router that I have been connecting to with my own computer for a while. Just recently however, it wont connect. It will show as if it is connecting onto the router, but will disconnect and then repeat that process until I stop it. I went into the router settings and disabled the WPA preshared key to see if I could get on without a key code. That surprisingly works, however, we need to keep it secure because people in the area like to piggy back off of unsecure router.

I have no idea why it doesn't work all of a sudden and don't know if it is an issue with my computer or my dads computer.

My sisters computer is able to connect by the way.

Router: Linksys wireless-G

My wireless card: MSI wireless card

2. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

Can you connect with WEP? Some devices/computers won't connect if the router is using a mixed mode for WPA/WPA2. Either set it to WPA or WPA2. Not both. My PDA won't connect if I set my router to both. Only WPA or WEP.

3. tribmartyr

tribmartyr Private E-2

Thanks for the reply. Actually I was able to fix it. Turns out my card was shot and when I bought a new one my internet works fine now. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds