Using an old router as a wireless adapter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by richardharveyhowells, Jul 11, 2008.

1. richardharveyhowells

richardharveyhowells Private E-2

is it possible to use an old router 'backwards', so that i can connect to a new router with better signal quality?
    i have a belkin router and a new orange livebox and i was wondering if there is a way of using the belkin router (connected to my PC upstairs) to connect to the orange livebox in a way similar to that of a wireless adaptor?

i dont think it has a client utility, so is there something i can do to enable it to, like a software upgrade or tweak, or am i going completely mad?

cheers!

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Some (expensive) industrial standard models could do this but I doubt yours can. Did you mention the model?

3. PEBKAC

PEBKAC Private First Class

I'm not sure I totally understand what you mean by "backwards", but if you are referring to connecting one home router to (through) another, then yes -- I'd imagine it should work for you. You'd need a patch cable to go from the WAN link of the second router into one of the switch ports of the first router. The second router should then pick up a DHCP address from the first router. Just be aware that, although computers connected into the second router will most likely be able to talk to those on the first router, computers on the first router will most likely not be able to talk to computers on the second router. This is because the second router will be NAT'ing behind the IP address assigned to it by the first router. Also, make sure that both routers are configured to use different private IP ranges so that you don't run into conflicts. Am I interpreting the orginal question correctly?

4. richardharveyhowells

You didnt sorry studiot but i have it here
    it is a linksys wireless-G ADSL gateway ; model number WAG54G

it is 2.4 ghz and 802.11g

it is rather basic but that can soemtimes be a good thing when using things the unconventional way.

to restate the question to try to minimise confusion...

-I have two routers, which will be called A and B (A is the one mentioned
    above and B is the orange livebox router, which is new)
    -B is connected to the broadband connection away from my PC
    -My PC currently connects via a (terrible) wireless adaptor to B.
    -Can i use A to replace my wireless adaptor to connect to B?
    -I do understand that in trying to do this, tweaks to the software on A may be required.
    (the reason i said A would be used backwards is that it is meant to supply the wireless internet conenction and i would like to use A to receive the connection at my PC).

hopefully that makes allot more sense!

thank you for your help!:)

5. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

6. richardharveyhowells

thanks allot i will do so....
    btw i only retyped the question to be safe in case i had confuzed you or the other reply-er.
    have a good weekend!

7. PEBKAC

PEBKAC Private First Class

Sorry I misunderstood the original question. I agree with "richardharveyhowells" that a better antenna is probably the way to go. Another option for you may be a wifi repeater.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds