Firewall has got "paranoid"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by VoiD, Jul 12, 2008.

1. VoiD

VoiD Corporal

i know firewalls are to protect you from the internet but i think mine has got a bit too paranoid ;)

problem is when my firewall is running (Zonealarm) i cannot get any access to the internet via browser, MSN, game update prgrams ect BUT i can ping www.google.co.uk successfully with around a 47ms delay so i am connected. As soon as i close Zonealarm the internet is perfectly fine, i have not got internet lock or anything on as ive checked a few times now and i have restarted various times and did a clean install of Zonealarm all to no avail!

i havent changed any settings(knowingly atleast) and im pretty good with most aspects of PCs but this has me stumped :(

thanks in advance for help!

2. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

Did you disable Windows firewall when you used Zonealarm? 2 firewalls may conflict. Personally I find Vista Firewall more than adequately. Those who complain about it being weak are beginners who don't want to learn new things. The point is to trust the pc. If you don't trust it, it doesn't matter how many firewalls/anti-malware programs you're running.

3. VoiD

VoiD Corporal

ive had zone alarm installed for ages... the other day it decided to stop letting me on the net... yes i checked windows firewall was disabled that was one of my first stops

4. VoiD

VoiD Corporal

solved... reinstalled windows :)

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Hehe, a drastic 'solution' indeed.:-D It could have been MS's KB951478 that did you in. Did it start last Tuesday?

6. VoiD

VoiD Corporal

cant say for sure but yes it did start around then!

i know it was a drastic soloution but it was over due anyway, i did a benchmark in 3dMark and it dropped almost 50% of the points from back in march lol

7. VoiD

VoiD Corporal

thanks for letting me know buddy even though i sorted it, it was driving me mad because i couldnt figure it out! :mad

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds