SATA 300 in a SATA 150 system?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Puppywunder58, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

I have an ABIT AN7 MB and I wondering if a SATA 300 HD will work in my SATA 150 ABIT MB?

Any suggestions for HD's would be appreciated.

Thank you, Oh Great Ones

2. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

They designed the SATA 300 drives to be backward compatible with the SATA 150 chipsets. The drive will negotiate it's data burst speed with the motherboard, or vice versa. The original SATA 150 cables are obviously sufficient for this purpose.:)

3. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

Its always a good idea to get the latest hardware incase you were to change motherboards later and could utilize the full 300sata speeds at that time. The Sata 300 drives are backwards compatible for using on 150 motherboard and will have instructions on what to do when you buy one. Typically there is a jumper in the back to switch between sata-II-300 and sata-1-150. Jumpers are not necessary for sata drives as master or slave since each drive has its own connection, therefore any jumpers you see would be for sata I/II compatibility and since the default for a sata II drive would be 300 change the jumper to enable 150.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds