No Display on Startup - Need help identifying faulty component

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Prospect151, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Prospect151

Prospect151 Private E-2

Hi

I have an HP desktop using a small TV as a monitor. Everything usually works fine. Recently, sporadically, the display would not come on on startup. An unplug and replug (after shutting down) would fix the problem.

Now my monitor will not wake up. I have had a bad video card before, and this is exactly the same symptoms. Is there any way I can be sure that this is in fact the faulty component (some test?) before going and buying something? I have already tested different wires and monitors - the problem is definitely within the PC.

Running windows XPsp2

THANKS

steve

2. Prospect151

Prospect151 Private E-2

Just as a followup, I hear no beeps on startup. I recently purchased a new graphics card to swap in, and this did not solve the problem. What am I dealing with here?

3. Prospect151

Prospect151 Private E-2

This problem has been resolved - mods can you please remove the thread, thank you

4. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

Why remove the thread? you shouldn't be embarassed that you were able to solve the problem with no help, you should be proud. Good work.

5. Prospect151

Prospect151 Private E-2

well sure I figured it out, but it was with an email chat with a representative from the manufacturer of my desktop PC. I suppose this thread could prove relief for anyone suffering my problem.

My problem was with static electricity. Technically, I'm not sure what was happening to the computer, but it would not display on startup. Fans ran as normal, and there were no beeps. Completely disconnecting the computer's plugs, depressing the startup button for 5-10 seconds, then reconnecting all cords and starting up solved the problem. I purchased a new video card to swap in this morning, thinking it may solve the problem. Turns out the answer was simpler than that.

6. a_pitz

a_pitz Private E-2

ahm, ur pc might be having a problem wid ur tv...
    tv might short ur motherboard that causes not to startup.!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds