RIP Gaming Rig?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gimpster123, Jul 13, 2008.

1. gimpster123

gimpster123 Bring out the Gimp.

Problem: Windows won't load (BSOD/restart loop)- Unable to reinstall or even install Linux

Background: Last night I was happily testing the limits of my AMD Windsor 6000+. Its a 90 nm chip and I was toying with it for 3 hrs or so- I got windows to load at 3.28 ghz- but had to bump the vcore to 1.565v to do it. I started a prime95 stress test to access stability- after 10 minutes give or take i smelt a burning (plastic) smell and almost immediatly there after the system shut down. I backed down the vcore to stock, and the fsb to stock, multiplier to auto (default)- and I believe I got into windows once that way. I was trying to hit the upper limit of default voltage again as I had earler in the night when windows stopped loading no matter what I did. Since then around every 10th time I try to boot I get a BSOD- and every other time it stalls out at a black screen or reboots endlessly.

I've attempted to reinstall windows- but get and error saying my install disk is corrupt. I've tried two different copies of Xubuntu 64- 1 copy of Kubuntu- only to have them lock up while loading the kernal. Xubuntu wouldn't load. Kubuntu gave me a kernal panic! warning.

I can successfully load Geexbox- which is a linux distro that loads into the memory.

I removed all but one stick of ram, and removed my tv tuner and vid card- as my BSOD error indicated a possible driver issue.
    Help!

2. gimpster123

gimpster123 Bring out the Gimp.

Update: Looks like I hosed my mobo- now looking for an AM2 board near wttn Wisconsin to see If I tookout my cpu too. The burning smell could have came from the CPU or the Chipset.

3. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

My condolences. *observes solemn minute of silence for the departed motherboard*

If you smelled burning plastic, I'd look at the "plastic" parts of the CPU. Those things get very hot, you might be able to actually see damage, if any was done to the CPU.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds