Caring for Laptop Battery

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by training4life, Jul 13, 2008.

1. training4life

training4life Sergeant

Which of the following is the right thing to do:

1. Turn off the laptop while charging
    2. Turn on the laptop while charging

I'm just confused on what should the right thing to do. Other people say that I should never plug-in the charger while using the laptop battery since it would decrease the life of the battery. Others even say that if I'm going to use the power supply from the outlet I should remove the battery. While other says that it is just alright to use the power outlet as a source of power for the laptop while using it.

My laptop is COMPAQ Presario B1200.

I would like to be clarify in using the power outlet in the right time and right way to charge my laptop.

-------------------

What I'm doing right now is that I use the power of the battery then when the power is running out I just plug-in the AC to charge it and when its full I just remove it again. Am I doing the right thing?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  2. VoiD

VoiD Corporal

i dont think it matters which you do to be honest or the manual would say the correct way. There will be some people who say charge without use and some its ok, ive just been reading alot of stuff on the net and i cant find a reference anywhere to support either way.

here is a link you may find an interesting read:

http://is.med.ohio-state.edu/policies/battery.htm

don't shoot me if its bad info ;)

if you dont get a reply here and still wanna know then i guess either contact the manufacturer of the battery for the first choice or just the laptop manufacturers

3. cconnect

cconnect Private E-2

Trying to answer your question as I have been told and do tell my customers...

When charging your laptop, it's alright to have the AC Adapter plugged in while you're using it. However, do not continue to charge it after it has reached 100%, as this actually does and is proven to decrease battery life.

4. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Did some research on this last year and for laptop batteries(Li-ion), it's best to let te battery discharge until you get a warning and then plug it in. I've never seen anythinng about the laptop being on or off. I'll try to find you a link but there's lot's of sites that offer proper battery maintenance info for all the different types.

5. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Just my experience, consult your computer manual or company website. I have had mine plugged in for at least 2 years with the battery in it. I just unplugged it and it says I get 1:45 mins remaining. Which is about what it was when I first got it. If I diassable Speedstep, I could get more battery time.

I think the older batteries had problems being left plugged in. It should stop charging when the battery is charged.

E

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You mean, if you enable speedstep?

7. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Sorry, I meant SpeedswitchXP. Runs it full out 100%. None of that sissy cooling stuff for my laptop! :-D

E

8. training4life

training4life Sergeant

Thank you for the replies. I'll just check it in the manufacturer. What I'm doing right now is I charge my laptop every time it is warning me that it is low in battery already.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds