serial ATA issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tribmartyr, Jul 13, 2008.

1. tribmartyr

tribmartyr Private E-2

Hi,

I just recently got a new 640Gb Western Digital hard drive that uses serial ATA cables. My friend also gave me new cd drive that also uses serial ATA cables. I plugged it all in, but my computer does not detect them anywhere. My Sata/Raid controller also does not detect them. I know power is getting to them however since the Cd drive is able to open and close, but does nothing when a cd is placed in it. So, my question is...why does my computer not see these drives?:confused

2. VoiD

VoiD Corporal

would be helpful to see the model numbers of the drives and the motherboard too :)

3. tribmartyr

tribmartyr Private E-2

Attached Files:

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

It appears that your motherboard is an older model (Abit KV7-V). If using the on board SATA controller, first make sure that your SATA is enabled in the BIOS. If you have the option, set it to IDE mode and not RAID mode. Then download and install these drivers:
    Chipset ftp://ftp-usa.abit.com.tw/pub/download/driver2/via_chip/v456.zip (install first, reboot)
    Serial ATA driver ftp://ftp-usa.abit.com.tw/pub/download/driver2/via_sata/v430g.zip (install second, then reboot)

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

[dlb]

(the ABit web site also mentions a secondary SATA controller by Silicon Images (or something very close to that) model Sil3112 Sil3114; if using this controller, install this driver after the first two above ftp://ftp-usa.abit.com.tw/pub/download/driver2/sata_driverdisk/abitsata_v133.exe )

(BTW- you may want to download the manual for your motherboard while you're at it http://www.uabit.com/downloads/down...it.com.tw/pub/download/manual/english/kv7.zip)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  5. tribmartyr

tribmartyr Private E-2

I can't find anything in the BIOS for me to activate the SATA...Which I guess still leaves me at step one

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds