Can't change monitor resolution

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bob T, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Bob T

Bob T Private E-2

First a little background information:
    We have a Dell Dimension 4400 desktop computer, about 5 years old.
    The original hard drive gave out on us. We got a new computer for us, and we were going to replace the hard drive in the 4400, reinstall XP and related install CD's and give it to the mother-in-law but I think I might have lost one of the Dell CD's.

The problem I'm having is I can't change the monitor resolution.

When I go to the Display Properties dialogue box, and the settings tab, it shows 640x480 and I can't change it. If I pick the Advanced button and the Monitor tab, it doesn't show a monitor type and it's grayed out so I can't pick the Properties button.

If I go to the System Properties dialogue box, pick the hardware tab, and pick Device Manager, it doesn't show any Monitors.

Does it sound like there is a driver or something I haven't installed?

TIA

2. cconnect

cconnect Private E-2

Yes Bob, unless you know you did install them (the drivers are included on one of the Dell CD's as VGA driver or Display Drivers or Graphics Card), your computer needs the drivers for it.

The drivers for the Dell Dimension 4400 can be found here under VIDEO:

http://support.dell.com/support/dow...D=DIM_PNT_P4_4400&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

My suggestion is you download the first one listed under VIDEO (ATI - Driver), and follow the installation instructions. After that, restart the computer, and it should fix your problem.

3. Bob T

Bob T Private E-2

Thanks, I've downloaded the ATI-Driver you suggested.
    I'm at work now but as soon as I get home I'm going to give that a try.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds