New Router?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Grimmer, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Grimmer

Grimmer Corporal

I have an old router that I would like to replace with something better that can handle 5 computers surfing the internet at the same time without any connection hiccups. I also want something with a better firewall and wireless security that is better than wep. What would be a good choice for a router? My budget is no more than $70.

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

In the ways of 802.11g routers, this is one of your best buys for the money, if you can find one, of course.

http://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-WHR-G...9?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1216056668&sr=8-3

Drop DD-WRT firmware onto that router and you have one smoking machine.

Sadly, they have been pulled from the shelves due to a court injunction. Ebay has most if not all of them being shipped in from another country, looking at the prices for shipping...

Mine just recently died...replaced it with a Linksys WRT160n for 70 dollars. Might want to look into that, but be careful with compatibility issues, it doesn't play nice with older adapters.

802.11g routers are safer to go with. Certainly doesn't hurt to go with tried and true, like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124010

3. Grimmer

Grimmer Corporal

Thanks for the speedy reply Adrynalyne. I think I will end up going w/ the link sys because I have heard alot of good things about them and I need something that will be reliable. One thing I am confused about is the bandwidth factor. When I look under the specs for the routers they show the data rates but does that mean that is how fast it is capable of transferring data with 1 pc hooked up to it or will that be the capable speed for each pc hooked up on the network? I want to make sure that I actually upgrade to something that will do better in network bandwidth than my old d-link router because I was having alot of problems losing my internet connection when 2 or more pc's where online at the same time. Does it tell you this info. in the specs on the routers if so what do I look for? -Thanks for your help

Here is a link to my old router: http://support.dlink.com/products/view.asp?productid=DI%2D624

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

The only way you will do better in the throughput factor is to upgrade to an 802.11n router. Thats going to put a dent in your wallet, of at least 70 bucks or more.

Connection speeds don't mean throughput speeds.

802.11a: 54 Mbit/s max speed. Avg throughput: 23 Mbit/s Range: ~35M
    802.11b: 11 Mbit/s max speed. Avg throughput 4.5 Mbit/s Range ~35M
    802.11g: 54 Mbit/s max speed. Avg throughput: 23 Mbit/s Range ~35M
    802.11n: 300 Mbit/s max speed. Avg throughtput: 74 Mbit/s Range: ~70M

5. Grimmer

Grimmer Corporal

Thanks for the information that was very helpful.So that brings me to my next question. I know I have to change out my wireless card w/ an N adapter if I were to get the wireless N router but what about my hard wired nic cards? In order to make the most of the new router's speed do I need to get new nic cards for the rest of my hard wired pc's that are connected to the network? Sorry for bombarding you w/ so many questions I just don't know very much when it comes to network hardware. I appreciate your help.

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

No, you sure don't, as long as they are 100 Mbit cards. Now, OTOH, if you get a wireless-N router with gigabit ethernet ports, then you will need gigabit cards to take full advantage of those higher speed ports.

7. Grimmer

Grimmer Corporal

Ok cool was a little worried that I would have to fork out a bunch more $ to upgrade. I think thats all the questions I have for you now but will post back if I need your help again. Thank you very much for all the information you gave it was very helpful and will save me from going to the store blind and buying something I don't need. Have a great week. -Grimmer :wave

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Glad I could help :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds