unkown service messing up my connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by atomiceric23, Jul 14, 2008.

1. atomiceric23

atomiceric23 Private E-2

Ok i'm using comodo firewall pro and avast antivirus on windows xp. I recently switched my internet service from verizon to my local cable company ( cablevision ) and my connection has been slow as ****. In internet connections it shows that I am connected at 100.0 Mbps so I don't know whats wrong. If I open up my firewall the only traffic it shows is this

application protocall source destination bytes in bytes out
    svchost.exe udp in/out 0.0.0.0 :68 255.255.255.255 :67 43.617kb 1.349kb

The bytes in and out changes. This is what was there at the moment. bytes

It shows this service as using 100% of my resorces

Also if I click on network from my firewall main page it shows a bar graph of what is being used and it looks like this

tcp 98% udp 2% icmp 0% others 0%

I have run spybot and avast and they didn't come up with anything. I need help

2. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

Update both comodo & avast ASAP.

3. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

If you download Process Explorer and use it to kill the process, the parent process (or .exe) will flash red for a quick second.
    I used this technique to track down a malware on my neighbor's PC that wasn't showing in any scans and was doing the same thing you describe.
    Sorry, but this is kind of a crude way to use Process Explorer. I haven't used it enough to know if there is another way to find a parent process. Maybe someone else will see this and give their advice.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/Process_Explorer_d4566.html

4. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

100Mb/sec is the reading of the network card and has nothingto do with Internet.

In order to solve you problem you have to disclose numbers (fast and slow are psychological terms).
    how fast (in numbers) was you Cable contract, and how much is Verizon.

As an example my own Cable Internet is 9Mb/sec by contract, and my DSL backup is 1.5Mb/sec by contract so my DSL by nature is 6 times slower than the cable.

DSL MTU is different than cable try to optimize the TCP/IP stack.

Optimizing the TCP/IP Stack - http://www.ezlan.net/Internet_Speed.html

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds