PC not starting.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Drakeskull, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Drakeskull

Drakeskull Private E-2

Ok so my gf decided to go ahead, and install my new case fans while I was at work today without asking me. She trys to start it up, and right after it was testing the drives it couldn't read the keyboard which is a usb keyboard, everynow, and then when it gets shut off hard like if the power goes out it would have that error. I would turn off the power supply unplug the keyboard and plug it back in and it would then work. I told her to do this she did. But its not really starting up at all now. Hit the power button, and the only screen that comes up is the Asus motherboard screen, and it just stays there. You think she might have shocked something, and ruined a peice of hardware? Any help on helping me trouble shoot this problem I would be much thankful for.

2. CRASH101

CRASH101 Private First Class

No but I would check all the connections and maybe even take out all the things she put in you PSU may not be able to take the power drain .

3. Drakeskull

Drakeskull Private E-2

Will try as soon as I get home, I believe it is a 420W ps. How much power do Case fans normally pull? I think with the 3 new ones it will make 6 80mm case fans total.

4. CRASH101

Not sure but you need to look at the PSU as it seems to be doing some thing fishy .

5. Drakeskull

Drakeskull Private E-2

After getting home last night, I didn't have any luck. I disconnected the fans, and tried reseting the jumpers on the motherboard. The only thing that I can think of to try now would be testing to see if it will start up with only 1 stick of ram, and to try each one. With the dated hardware I don't think I would be able to find a processor to test out, or even a mobo. Any other suggestions?

6. CRASH101

A new PSU ?

7. Drakeskull

Drakeskull Private E-2

Is a pci express PSU backwards compatible for a old AGP style MOBO? I might buy a new one since I might have to rebuild. Unless I can get my hands on someone elses to test out. All the fans, and heatsink work fine, you think the PSU could keep it from getting to the Cmos? I does get to the very first Screen where it has the Asus logo, but no further.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds