DVD data disks not reading

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dalkiel, Jul 16, 2008.

1. dalkiel

dalkiel Private First Class

It's not that it doesnt read all my disks. For some reason it doesnt read one or two disks that it had no problem loading before.

I used nero to burn the disks and after burning i usually check the disks to see if i can open the files etc before i label them. Recently i tried putting in a old disk i had burnt over a month ago (Disk was clean/no scratches/sandwiched between other disks in a spindle) and the drive couldnt load the disk. i ejected th disk and popped in another disk and the drive worked fine. I tried a DVD movie- no problem again. No other disk i tried exhibited that problem.

This is the second disk that has had this problem so far. Bear in mind that it was working fine before. i tried cleaning the disk but got the same results.

I have WinXP on
    Dell Inspiron 6400

Advice suggestions please
    Thanks in advance

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Take it to a friends house and try it in another XP computer. if it works there, the disk is good. if it doesn't, for some reason, the disk went bad.

3. dalkiel

dalkiel Private First Class

I tried the disk on my desktop and same problem occurs. I presume the disk is screwed up.

Its probably not possible because the disk wont even load but is there any other way i can extract my data?

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I don't think it is possible to get data off a disk that can't be read by your two computers.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds