graphic card + motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silverbullet, Jul 16, 2008.

1. silverbullet

silverbullet Private First Class

i currently have a ASUS M2N-E sli motherboard with 2x geforce 8600GT's
    but i want to trade my cards in and replace them with a new single ATI 4870.

The problem i have is, im worried the new ATI card will not fit in the pci e slot on my motherboard.

If anyone can boost my confidence then please do :eek:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  2. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

3. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Well here is a statement on the dimensions:

"With dimensions of roughly 235x105x37mm, the Radeon HD 4870 is noticeably smaller than NVIDIA's GeForce 9800 GTX, which is its prime competitor."

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/taxid;2136212627;pid;6077;pt;1

I have heard of some people having issues getting the bigger cards into the cases. You should turn off the rear power and unplug, hit the power button to remove all residual current and then remove the side of your case. Have a good look at your HDD set up and the alignment of your PCI-e slot. You may have to consider moving your HDD down lower if they seem to be in the way of the dimensions of the card (235mm length). It should easily travel over the heatpipe of the motherboard. But get out your ruler or tape and take measurements for some self reassurance.

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Well, 235mm=9.25something inches. So bust out a tape measure and see if it will fit in your case. You can, as Bold Eagle said, move hard drives around if needed. You can also use tin snips to remove part of the hard drive cage if it is in the way.

You can most likely make it fit, depending on how creative you are.:-D

E

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I have worked on many PCs and installed many graphics cards, and I don't think I've ever had a video card just not fit... as stated above, I've had to move some things around and had to flatten cables (sometimes the vid card will extend over an IDE or SATA header) but I've always been able to get the card in the case without using tin snips, but I can see where it might be necessary in some of the smaller MATX cases....

6. gimpster123

gimpster123 Bring out the Gimp.

any plans for the 8600's? pm me

7. chaimjm

chaimjm Staff Sergeant

I have been building system for about 23 yrs now and I can't remember having a no fit problem.

8. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

9. silverbullet

silverbullet Private First Class

thanks guys. Ive had my confidence boosted. I am worried mostly about the fact that the card has a plastic casing on it, and theres a heat sink thing on the motherboard just below the first PCI-E slot and i dont know if it will get in the way. Now i could put it in the bottom PCI-E slot.....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds