Modem & Router/Internet Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by buffee, Jul 16, 2008.

1. buffee

buffee Private E-2

As of 7/9 I went from PRO speed to ELITE speed(AT & T). Yesterday I had NO internet access for 9 hours. AT & T finally determined it to be the router(DI-604) They had me disconnect the router & plug the modem straight into the computer and it worked fine. They claim the higher speed is not the issue...maybe not. I was told to reconfigure & flash the Router. It is too old, the one I have is nearly 4 years old and D-LINK doesn't even support it anymore with anything.
    Any ideas?
    How important is having a router in a ONE COMPUTER household?
    If I choose not to go with a router? How can I have the same security I had...without one..??any ideas. I have AVG Security Suite, Spybot, & Spyblaster as well as Advanced Windows Care.....thank you!
    :confused

2. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

I think it's B.S. They probably don't want to waste time dealing with something from a 3rd party. You can start fresh by resetting the router with a paper clip. Go to dlink.com for the quick-start guide. Do the wizard setup.

A firewall appliance blocks inbound whereas a software firewall blocks outbound. If you run a pc w/o a router, you should have a software firewall at a minimum. Windows XP/Vista have a built-in one. I use it. If you want something different, look into comodo.

Your security software is fine. Best create a limited user account for every user.

3. buffee

buffee Private E-2

Well I found firmware info on my dlink, but when I use the paperclip to reset it, I need the internet to go to the 192. address, and since I CANNOT get on the internet with the router on, what can I do?
    SBC isn't going to do jack, I have tried, so they are useless. I bought AVG antivirus about 3 months ago and now I just went & go the AVG Security suite(expensive) but it has a firewall..and the other one I bought doesn't. Should I turn off XP's firewall? Do you think this AVG suite is a good one. I guess I could buy another router and start from stratch, but it can't be the same one since DLINK doesn't support or warranty the D-Link DI-604 anymore. I am very confused, but I feel like I am NAKED right now..without a router.

4. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

5. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

http://192.168.0.1/ isn't the Internet. It's your default router address. When you set it up, the Internet is off normally cuz you haven't set it up yet. You need to input the login & password for your ISP for Internet to work.

Power on router, reset router, stick paper clip in the reset hole in the back for 10 secs, hook it up from port 1 to PC, power on pc, boot up windows, go to start, control..., network..., right-click your network card, prop..., click TCP/IP, prop..., obtain ip auto..., obtain dns auto..., ok, ok, wait a bit, restart pc.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Go to http://192.168.0.1/ in a web browser, enter Admin for name & leave password empty, enter, run wizard, follow it through:

http://support.dlink.com/emulators/di604_reve/h_wizard.html

After setting up the router, you should see something like this:

http://support.dlink.com/emulators/di604_reve/h_wan_poe.html

Problems: If you can't connect to the router, uninstall your network card from device manager, restart pc, install the latest driver, start over.

6. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

no one ever came back saying this worked for them, does anyone know? did it work?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds