No Power

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BubbleBlower, Jul 17, 2008.

1. BubbleBlower

BubbleBlower Private E-2

Hi and thanks in advance for your help.

I have been given a pc to fix as it has been very noisy recently that sounded like a CPU fan on the way ouy when described to me.

When I plug it in, the mainboard (an MSI PM8M-v - MS-7104) appears to be completely dead when you turn it on, however, if you unplug the 20 pin connector the PSU fan spins up, as do the hard drives etc. I have run the PSU through a tester and it is fine, but just to check I tested with another PSU with the same results.

Is it likely to be the board, cpu or something else ?

2. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

Sounds like a classic no post symptom.

Try clearing cmos for 1 hour to overnight with power cord unplugged & battery taken out.

3. BubbleBlower

BubbleBlower Private E-2

I have left it out for over an hour, but will try today for longer.

4. BubbleBlower

BubbleBlower Private E-2

Ok I left the battery out for 24hrs and when I replaced it the machine booted. Great I thought until I shut it down and it refused to power up again.

Looks like a screwed mb to me

5. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

When the mobo posts, you should go to bios and load defaults. Try again or lug the pc to a pc store for a check-up.

6. BubbleBlower

BubbleBlower Private E-2

I loaded the defaults when it posted, then shut it down so I could run Microscope to test the hardware out but haven't had it boot since :(

7. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

Maybe the person your trying to fix it for, accidentally flashed the board with the wrong bios. You could try flashing it with the latest for that board and hope for the best.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds