hard drive failure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by overtime, Jul 17, 2008.

1. overtime

overtime Private E-2

I purchase a used computer about a year ago and the hard drive has failed I purchased a new hard drive but I cannot install it because I don't have the Windows XP pro product key although I have the original disk. Am I screwed or is there any way to install Windows on the new drive? :major

2. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

Are you absolutely positive that the drive cannot be accessed? Have you tried unplugging and replugging the connections both at the drive and the motherboard? there is a freezer trick to getting a drive to work for a short time. If you can get the drive running you can use Magical jelly bean key finder to look for the key on the old drive. Also if the ide ribbon or sata connector is bad it can act like the drive is shot when its not.

3. overtime

overtime Private E-2

Yes, It is a mechanical failure. The drive makes rattling noises and will not run to start the OS. I have tried the freezer trick with no luck. Any suggestions?

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Pull the computer apart to be sure there is no sticker on sides, bottom or inside with the windows serial number on it.
    If you were given the XP Pro CD, I would think that the serial sticker would be psted somewhere on the computer.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds