Blue screen (beginning dump of physical memory)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wisdom, Jul 17, 2008.

1. wisdom

wisdom Private E-2

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. Problem occured after removing AVG free home and downloading Avris- antivirus and ZoneAlarm firewall please help running XP please help can't even get online or anything also when I try to load laptop in normal mode get error message (PRIMARY HARD DISK DRIVE 0 NOT FOUND NO BOOTABLE DEVICE(S) SELECTED strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility). HOPE SOMEONE CAN HELP OUT. I'm on my other computer it's the only way now to commiunicate online right now again THANKS.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

There is no product called Avris antivirus as far as I can tell.
    ZoneAlarm running on windows computers that were patched starting July 15th lost internet access. So unless you downloaded the newest version, that would cause the loss of the internet.

As far as the message Hard disk 0 not found, no bootable devices selected, that means the BIOS can't see your hard drive.

I will assume that you are running XP since you did not supply details. (Also the brand of computer and whether it is a desktop or laptop would help).

You need to get into the BIOS, select the CD drive as a boot device, put in an XP CD and try to repair your windows install, provided the hard drive can be seen.

3. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

You meant Avira or Avast?

4. wisdom

wisdom Private E-2

Thanks PLODR and GORAN P for your response answer to your questions is I'm running windows XP

5. wisdom

wisdom Private E-2

Sorry again I'm running WIN XP ON A DELL LATITUDE CP LAPTOP that i purchased off line from U-BID.COM and NO I don't have the XP CD and after my son downloaded ZoneAlarm and thats when problems started Plodr and yes the antivirus that I downloaded was Avira Goran.P. Hope that you guys can help me with the limited resources that I have.

6. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

How did it "die" so to speak? Was it rebooting to complete the uninstall and it wouldn't boot back up, or was it later on.

If you know how to get into your bios and see what your boot order is. I typically set mine at the CD rom first...then the Hard Drive that has windows installed on it (typically the C: drive), then make sure your windows hard drive is in the boot order somewhere, and then if there is something above your hard drive in the boot order (CD Rom or Floppy drive, etc)....make sure there is nothing in those drives.

See if that get's you anywhere and give us an update...if you need further instructions, just say so.

As far as Avira...never heard of it. I recommend AVG Free for anti-virus and Zone Alarm Free or PCTools Free for a firewall. There all three tried and true, and if you download them from here than you're guaranteed to get it spyware free!!

Roger

7. wisdom

wisdom Private E-2

Thanks Rogvalcox but I'm an idot when it comes to computers I don't know how to get into Bios please if you have the TIME I may need a step by step instructions if possible like I said I'm an IDOT

8. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

If you are this new at it...keep in mind, you can change settings in the bios that can render the machine to be more jumbled than it might already be. However, worse case scenario...you can set the bios back to defaults...which we can instruct you how if need be. If you have nothing to loose and want to learn something...then read on. :)

Before you do any of this though...have you checked to see that there is no floppies or cd's in the computer? If not...do that first and if there are, then take them out and try to start it and see what happens. If that doesn't make any difference, then read on.

As soon as you start the machine, keep tapping the "F2" key and you'll see when it goes into the BIOS (looks like an old blue DOS screen), then use your arrows and enter key to navigate through the menus till you find something about "boot/disk order". That is where you will find you can see the current boot order and change it to your likings. Hard Disk (0) is your boot/windows drive.

9. wisdom

wisdom Private E-2

Hey Rogvalcox just got email thanks will try to hit F2 upon start and sees what happens.

10. wisdom

wisdom Private E-2

May ask if hard drive making funny clicking noise could it be something wrong with the drive.

11. wisdom

wisdom Private E-2

Can anyone else give any information on my problem.:wave

12. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

YES! Save your files because it sounds like the hd is on its way out.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds