FreeVNC vs UltraVNC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by djcassar, Jul 17, 2008.

1. djcassar

djcassar Private E-2

I currently use logmein to access computers via the net but if i'm accessing computers on the same network I use FreeVNC as it seems to be more light weight.

However UltraVNC appears to be another popular one but I'm not sure if its worth while trying it out as FreeVNC seems to be doing what I want.

Has anyone tried/compared the two?

2. techoftheday

techoftheday Private E-2

LogMeIn is better than VNC in my opinion, but I've recently switched from LogMeIn Rescue to Techinline (www.techinline.com). It's only a fraction of the cost and it's probably the simplest tool to use on the market since it requires absolutely no installation on either end. All you need your client to do is open a page in their browser, get a number which you punch in and you are connected! Also, I've seen them really improve over the past few months so the service will only continue to get better

3. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Ultra VNC has a few a extra functions and seems to be well supported.
    http://www.uvnc.com/features/index.html

They even have the 'single click' tool, that is useful in some cases.
    http://www.uvnc.com/addons/singleclick.html

These come in handy when IE doesn't work.. we've been there, eh?
    I know how does the end user get them if IE is broke? email, chat transfer, etc.

side note: Tech, I have been looking for an 'online' remote like that, I seen many at various prices. But on that site it says $30 is unlimited then it says per seat? So is $30 the whole thing or is there some hidden costs? I'm guessing they mean that a company can't pay $30 for their entire helpdesk to use it.. each person being "a seat".

4. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds