Cannot get on internet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by time4afix, Jul 18, 2008.

1. time4afix

time4afix Private E-2

Ok heres the story.
    I have a setup with a desktop and a laptop. The laptop is wireless.

The wireless will not work, I have tried trouble shooting the router over and over, but that is not my question.

When the wireless went kaput, I could not get on the internet on the desktop computer unless I unplugged the router and directly connected to computer.

So now I want to connect my laptop directly to the high speed modem.

I plug in and I cannot get internet access. Not even using the wizard.

I disabled the wireless and still cannot get on.

Anyone able to walk me through this?

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

You're plugging the laptop directly into the modem? If so, you first need to make sure the network adapter is enabled with the correct driver installed; go to the device manager and look under 'Network Adapters' and make sure there's no yellow exclamation points ! or red X's or question marks ? anywhere. If there's a red X on the wireless adapter, that's OK. I'm assuming you're running Windows XP.
    1. Go to the Control Panel and double click Internet Options.
    2. Set your home page in the "Home Page" box; for example, type in "http://www.majorgeeks.com" and click Apply (without the quotes of course).
    3. Click the Connections tab; then click Setup.
    4. (this is for IE6; IE7 will be very similar) The 'New Connection Wizard' should now be open; click Next.
    5. Make sure the top circle is checked and click Next.
    6. Make sure the 2nd circle is checked and click Next.
    7. Make sure the bottom circle is checked and click Next.
    8. Click Finish and the window should close.
    9. Either launch Internet Explorer (it should open the page you typed in step 2, sometimes the IE or MSN or Microsoft page opens instead, that's OK) or click Start, click Run, and type "http://www.majorgeeks.com" again without the quotes and click OK. Major Geeks should open.
    10. Do a happy dance :dancer
    If this didn't work, or your device manager shows Xs or ?s or !s then post here and we'll do our best.

[dlb]
    :major

3. time4afix

time4afix Private E-2

This is what I have been doing. I gave it another shot anyways, in case I was missing something.

Still doesnt work. Cannot connect.

No XXX's in device manager, Network adapters (except for wireless)

Network Icon in XP menu toolbar says "limited or no connectivity"

Sorry, no happy dance this time!

Thanks for your help.

4. VoiD

VoiD Corporal

im presuming your connected via the lan port? if so...

just to clarify in device manager you have atleast 2 network adapters 1 wireless and 1 ethernet? if so go to control panel > Network Connections and there you should have:

"local Area Connection"
    and
    "Local Area Connection 2"

plus a couple others depending on your hardware options

In the text for these icons you should be able to tell which adapter is which, double click the wired adapter icon and that will give you the network info for that adapter, if you click the support tab you will see a repair button click that. see if it helps?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  5. time4afix

time4afix Private E-2

Thanks for the quick response.

In device manager, under network adapters, I have 3 items:

1394 Net Adapter

Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated controller

Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection

Under Network Connections, It is Broken Up into 2 sections, The first one (Dial-up)has 1 icon:

America online
    Disconnected
    Conexant D110 MDC V.9X

The second (Lan or High Speed internet) has 3 icons:

1394 Connection
    Connected
    1394 net adapter

Local Area Connection
    Limited or no Connectivity
    Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated controller

When clicking on REPAIR,
    “Windows is taking the following action:
    Renewing your IP address”

Then:

“Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: renewing your IP address. For assistance contact the person who manages your network.”

Wireless Network Connection
    Disabled
    Intel® PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection

Clicking on REPAIR brings up a box saying (Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the folloing action cannot be completed: Connecting to the wireless network. For assistance contact the person who manages your network.

(As a reminder, my wireless router is disconnected because it does not seem to be functioning properly, I am trying to connect via network cable at this time)

6. VoiD

VoiD Corporal

The laptop and router are not talking so you need to check:

A) Your IP settings, find out if your router automatically assigns IP adresses or you have to assign them manually and configure your computer to suit - ideally set to auto assign. Also check the subnet mask(if setting manually) and the default gateway on the PC(this is the routers IP) its located with the IP address. (ask if you need help doing this)

B) Are you using a different cable to connect the laptop? if you are, use the same cable that you are using to connect the desktop, as that is a known good item and we can illiminate that from potential causes.

If these are both OK you can do a basic test on the connection by trying to ping the router from the laptop:

go to Start >>> All Programs >>> Accessories >>> Command Prompt

in this window type "ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" replace all the xxx's with your routers IP address, either visible in the config options or sometimes on a sticker underneath the router

what model modem are you using?

7. time4afix

time4afix Private E-2

I apoligize if I probably didn't make this clear enough earlier. At this point, I am not concerned with the wireless router. I still need to locate the disk for easy setup. It has been hard reset and will need to be totally reconfigured; I just want to establish a hard line connection to the internet with my laptop at this time. Please just concentrate on instructions to do this. Thanks.

Both cables have established a connection using the desktop computer.

The Cable Modem is a Motorola SB5100

The network adapters are listed in my earlier queries.
    Thanks for the quick reply.

I also apologize for quoting every response in my replies. I do this to reference your info to answer your questions thouroughly.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds