New Motherboard Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rocket Man, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Rocket Man

Rocket Man Private E-2

Hello, I recently purchased a new M3A Asus motherboard, a AMD X3 Phenom, and an 800W Power Supply. When I finished assembling I attempted a boot up. My two 120mm fans, my CPU fan, and my power supply fan each spun for a second then stoped. The green light on the mobo remained lit as long as the power supply was on but no activity.

By trying to come to a conclusion tried disconnecting one unit at a time to isolate the problem to only be left with the same situation. I am convinced there is a problem with either the mobo or the CPU.

I need help identifying the problem.

Thank you in advance.

2. kpatrickm

kpatrickm Private E-2

Maybe try updating the Mobo Bios.

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Do you get any beeps from the computer when you turn it on?

Make sure the second power header on the mobo is pluged in (4 pin plug near the CPU).

Make sure the CMOS jumper is in the correct position. Should be on pins 1 and 2 if I am not mistaken. Asus has a tiny picture of the board on their site, looks like the jumper is inbetween the battery and your IDE header.

Did you use the proper number of mobo standoffs when you installed the mobo? Any extra standoffs can cause a short that will not let the 'puter boot up.

Good luck! Post back with the results.

E

4. Rocket Man

Rocket Man Private E-2

The only time I had beeps coming out was when i had my video in but i disconnected its power supply. Other than that there were the same symptoms from there on out.

I made sure the CMOS jumper was in the right slot, and it was. After some testing, by removing components one by one. By running the mobo alone with just the power supply (no CPU unit) i was having the same problem. It looks to be a defective mobo.

Appreciate the help.

5. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

Clear cmos if you haven't, try each stick of ram in each slot, upon post load bios defaults.

6. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

Make darn sure you have that cpu fan plugged into the cpu fan header and not another one. If you don't plug it into the cpu fan socket the mobo will think there is no cpu fan at all. Many of these newer boards have fan plugs all over the place, and some people think if the fan spins all is ok but thats not so, it must be detected as there on the proper header or the safeties take over. Also move the heatsink a little in a twisting motion to make sure its seated, most sinks only go on correctly in one direction and anything else can fault out. In some cases the sink will rest on a capacitor or something preventing it from making good contact.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds