new graphics card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BILLMCC66, Jul 19, 2008.

1. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

my PC is running Vista home premium and i have purchased Vista ultimate which i can duel boot but the only problem is my graphics card is not powerful enough.

my question is how can i see which card i have and how do i choose another one?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  2. VoiD

VoiD Corporal

download everest from here @ [MG] it provides a good amount of system info that will show you exactly what cards you have :)

3. VoiD

VoiD Corporal

heres the link for you

<<<Clicky>>>

just noticed it looks like a laptop your on, im not sure if you can change the graphics cards in those mate! :(

4. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

no it's not a laptop

i have Everest but can not see the graphics card it shows the vidio card or is that the same

5. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

Your gpu is not powerful enough for what? Aero? The specs are missing the gpu. Go to start\Control Panel\Performance Information and Tools\ update my score. Post result.

If you want, you can disable transparent glass to speed up the interface:

[​IMG]

6. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Aero is not a problem i can run it in Vista premium where my score is 3.9 for the graphics.

but in ultimate it is 1.0 for the graphics

my PC can run 64 bit without problems and without the graphics score (lowest) my score is 5.9 in both

7. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

this is all i get when i try to get GPU info

8. VoiD

VoiD Corporal

well i just downloaded everest tried to get GPU info and i also had nothing tried to change catigory then it came up not responding :rolleyes

i hit PCI/AGP video first and the card names came up fine though, just GPU thats playing up for me lol

[EDIT] just tryed again and it came up this time, must take a while.

9. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Try using GPUZ. It's a program designed exclusively for detecting and providing info about video cards (or graphics cards, they're the same thing). But from what I've seen so far, you have an ATI Radeon HD2400. As to Everest: the free version is no longer supported by the developer and therefore updated hardware references are not available, this could be why you're having problems with accurate info with newer devices. Anyway- here's the link for GPUZ:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5796.html

10. VoiD

VoiD Corporal

ohhh didnt know that thanks dlb ill bear that in mind before i recommend it next time :p

11. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

You can also try PcWizard, Bill.
    It gives a lot of detailed info.
    Choose the Video Icon and it will show info about your Video, Monitor, etc.
    Click on your Video Card and you should get even more details in the bottom window.

Edit: I thought you might want the link. LOL
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/PC_Wizard_d3846.html

Attached Files:

12. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I used GPUZ and got the result, My card will run AERO but will not run anything such as screen saver it gives a pop up to say graphics not supported by your card,
    can i just buy a more powerfull card or do i have to have one specifically for HP Pavilion?

13. VoiD

VoiD Corporal

should be able to buy a new card, some manufaturers add an extra fin of plastic in to the slot to prevent standard cards from being inserted but im not sure about HP systems. The fin can be removed but it is a very difficult and precise job if it has one.

14. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

thanks Void i will pop down to my local PC store and see what they have:)

15. VoiD

VoiD Corporal

no problem at all, good luck with the new card :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds