Is there a way to charge my battery without using my laptop?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by eagerinsight, Jul 19, 2008.

1. eagerinsight

eagerinsight Private E-2

My DC jack has broken again, this time repair is not possible. So now I can't charge my battery. I have a new laptop, but I need to back up my files so I need a way to charge the battery. Any ideas?

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I have seen external battery chargers, but they are proprietary depending on the battery and they are not available for all batteries because all laptop batteries are very different. You'd probably be better off removing the hard drive and using an external enclosure to connect it to a USB port on a working PC and save your data that way. It's much cheaper and will be much easier to get an enclosure than to try and track down a charger. Enclosures can be found at Tiger Direct and NewEgg and just about any PC store; you'll need a 2.5 inch. Make sure it is compatible for your drive type; either SATA or IDE (also called PATA). They do make enclosures with both SATA and IDE connectors if you're unsure of your drive type. Another plus: after you have saved your data, you can format the drive and use it as an external drive for all your back up and data migration needs.... very handy! ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds