Problem with my broadband speed.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scott1982, Jul 19, 2008.

1. scott1982

scott1982 Private E-2

Hello my internet has slowed down to a snails pace overnight, nothing had changed i never installed anything and i'm not over my download quota so the shaping is not there either.

Okay my provider is Aussie Pc Shop, i have the deal ADSL Deal2 Speed: 512k / 128k – 25 Gigabytes, but as of 2 nights ago my download speeds are from 2-5kb/s i have ran virus scanners, adware scanners you name it but i didn't find anything i ran a test on Oz Speed test and the result is below;

Test Results from Oz Broadband Speed Test
    ----------------------------------
    Test run on 20/07/2008 @ 11:05 AM

Mirror: OptusNet
    Data: 70 KB
    Test Time: 25.71 secs

Your line speed is 22 kbps (0.02 Mbps).
    Your download speed is 3 KB/s (0 MB/s).

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

2. chaimjm

chaimjm Staff Sergeant

Have you rebooted your modem

3. scott1982

scott1982 Private E-2

Yeah i have rebooted my modem then did the scans etc.
    thank you.

4. chaimjm

chaimjm Staff Sergeant

This maybe be a stupid question but have you called your provider

5. scott1982

scott1982 Private E-2

Haha, yeah i called my provider on friday regarding the issue they got me to try basic things i did anyways such as reseting my modem, restarting it and my laptop etc, they couldn't really offer any help.

6. paramonks

paramonks Corporal

Hello

I have some suggestions - although very general.

Have you check the telstra wholesale broadband service about outages?

Do you have neighbours who are also have issues with their internet connections regardless of provider? (evidence of whether this is isolated to your line or a neighbourhood issue)

Have you had wet weather recently, don't laugh - not a silly as it sounds.

Have you logged a fault on your line yet? - I couldn't find anything about problems with your ISP provider on whirlpool, so logging a fault could be helpful. presumably your ISP provider is a reseller from "Telstra".

HTH - paramonks

7. scott1982

scott1982 Private E-2

Thank you for your response, yeah i logged a fault with telstra, we do have alot of rain lately but nothing bad and my neighbours internet who is through the same provider is going well, i did check with telstra about the outages but they told me that was isolated to mainly North Nsw, and Queensland.

8. paramonks

paramonks Corporal

Hello again

Have you eliminated your modem as the source of your problem?

Do you have or can your borrow a different modem to try?

What is your ISP like for tech support? How extensive with testing have they been in trying to sort out your line issues? (not just the cursory - oh reboot your modem)

Think I'm about out of ideas now, keep my fingers crossed the Telstra techs find something with the line, your speed is now like dialup and not what you paid for.

good luck - paramonks

9. scott1982

scott1982 Private E-2

i tried another modem and its the same deal same speeds, this is the first issue i have had with them and the tech support was basic and really not going into depth enough i dont think, thanks i hope so too

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds