Connected but no connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by D_M, Jul 20, 2008.

1. D_M

D_M Private E-2

Hello to everyone here!
    First of all i have to say that i've so far always found help to any problems that i've had with my PC but this one sems to be different:

I have 2 laptops, one with Vista, and the other one with XP.
    Now the problem is that i can access the internet with the laptop that has vista on it, but no with the one that has XP. I use a cable, (no modem, router) the cable comes straight from the wall into the laptop (forgive the way i said it, english is not my native language, but i hope you undestand what i said).

If i try to connect to the internet (wan miniport, pppoe) then i get the message in the corner of the screen, that says i am connected, but i cannot access the internet, and also AVG or Zone alarm cannot update.
    This happened after i made some cleaning using CrapCleaner, but i doubt i messed up something using that tool because i have used it for as long as i can remember...
    Remember, i can access the internet with the laptop that uses Vista, so the problem must be with the XP. Have i accidentally deleted some important files using CCleaner or...?

I am running out of ideas so i a thankful for any help!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Try disabling your Zone Alarm or reducing the Internet Zone to medium, if this works its due to needing an updated Zone Alarm after a critical update from Microsoft to tcp/ip caused ZoneAlarm in XP to block internet access.

The updated ZoneAlarm free is here ( could download it from Vista pc and transfer to XP and install )

3. D_M

D_M Private E-2

Thanks for the reply!

Didn't work, i disabled Zone Alarm and even AVG, but no luck so far.
    Could it be that i accidentally deleted something when i cleaned the PC with CCleaner?

4. a_pitz

a_pitz Private E-2

try to repair ur local area connection..
    right click on the icon in the down-right side,ul see the 2 monitor icon..
    the click repair,,,
    hope i had helped you!!!

5. CvxVcx

CvxVcx Private E-2

I can't understand, how you connected these laptops. Have you any switch or hub?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds